Butchering

Help Support CattleToday:

I know it is a bit off the subject, but could somebody go through the economics of the direct sales market? i.e. from calf to butcher to consumer. Just curious how the numbers look.

Thanks in advance.

I know it is a bit off the subject, but could somebody go through the economics of the direct sales market? i.e. from calf to butcher to consumer. Just curious how the numbers look.

Thanks in advance.

Well...that happens to be the business that we're in.
We sell direct to the customer and realize a better margin than if we sold claves at the sale. We also sell cut meat (must be USDA processed) at the Farmer's markets and have doubled our freezer beef production as a result. There is alot of folks that sell for alot less than we do but our customers stay loyal.
A good product is key and keep the customer informed...if they ask a question you better know what you are talking about because your competition sure will. We have information brochures with lots of pictures of the cows on pasture and have farm tours for kids groups...sell alot of beef by sticking a kid's hand is some dried molasses and letting a calf lick it off and having the kids actually smell a cow, always send them home with some self picked veggies from the garden.
We can make 2-4 hundred dollars more on a animal over selling it at the sale. That's just us.

1...Develop a business plan.
2...Develop a customer base...we cater to folks who like both grass and grain finished beef
3...Maintain the consistency in the product...ground beef can't be 90% lean one day and 80% another.

Hope that this helps...DMc