Butchering

Help Support CattleToday:

getting harder and harder to find a processor that will handle self kills anymore!

my processor will not, but then he is usda and azda inspected!

i would think it depend on where you are located and state and local laws kick in!

SUSIEDAVID?????
i know you are licensed as well, do you do your own processing ?

I would like to try it, just wondering what others that have done it have to say about it. As far as butchering goes I have had very good success with deer and hogs. Breaking down the different cuts seems pretty easy to me on the above mentioned animals, just didnt know how much more difficult it can be on a steer.
I also have a place that I can dry hang it for 10-28 days if I so choose. I really think it would be a good experience, but I do not want to get into a situation where I am wasteful.

I have done all my own processing for my direct sales, so long as you have good facilities it is not too difficult, you don't want to be 'breaking' a beef hindquarter hanging from a roof beam by a piece of bailing wire!
As I have done all my purchasing from the local merchants rather than the city stores, I have a good relationship with the local traders, as a result I have access to the local store's butchery facilities as they only buy boxed beef now so do nothing more than re-pack and price.
My niche market will certainly out-grow my potential production, even before I reach my maximum herd size, targeting the right market pays, but needs re planning on a more regular basis than I had first anticipated.

we do all our own sheep then a janitor at the school my dad teaches at comes and slices it up for us well lets it age first

Andybob,
Any suggested reading? Do you dry hang it? If so for how long? Any other suggestions?

We like to recognize the different cuts....so we have our butched come down, slaughter and take the carcass to his shop for hanging and cut & wrap.
I make enough of a mess out of elk to even think about doing a steer; besides it is getting to be to much work for my old self.
DMc

andybob":2qlgrztt said:
I have done all my own processing for my direct sales, so long as you have good facilities it is not too difficult, you don't want to be 'breaking' a beef hindquarter hanging from a roof beam by a piece of bailing wire!
As I have done all my purchasing from the local merchants rather than the city stores, I have a good relationship with the local traders, as a result I have access to the local store's butchery facilities as they only buy boxed beef now so do nothing more than re-pack and price.
My niche market will certainly out-grow my potential production, even before I reach my maximum herd size, targeting the right market pays, but needs re planning on a more regular basis than I had first anticipated.
================
andybob...,

Just curious.
~How do pull the skin off of the carcass of steers?
~do you have a market for the skins?
~Do you have a market for the bones? If not how do you dispose of them?
~Do you carry liability insurance for ...e-coli--etc...possible exposure? If not what is your protection?

We sell a few annually for slaughter and are getting more request.

If you have the basics with hogs then you will be ok. The biggest thing is having some where to do it and the equipment to accommodate the heavy weight. Now you may be thinking of butchering a small steer, what ever you do you can't mess it up, I mean all else fell it can go into hamburger . I wish I was near you I would come help you. Best of luck to you!

Auburn...,

If that was a response to me, thanks for the offer.

I am familiar with hogs...we never skin them...just dunk in hot H2o and scrape.

I am sure skinning a steer would require more than we plan to get into....was just curious.

As I use a slaughter facility close by, I have the skin sold through their contact I have not had to sell any skins directly since I have been here, Hide dealers in South Africa advertised in the farming magazines.
When we home slaughtered, we would winch the steers up by the Achilies tendons, streching the hind legs out then cut the break lines, then skin with a flaying knife so as not to damage the hide, you cannot 'fist' the skin from the hide as you do with deer and sheep carcasses. Skinning a steer is best learned from demonstration.
Bones are sawn and sold to dog breeders no profit, just cover the costs, my alternative is to burn them in the pig incinerator.
The quartered carcase is hung for two weeks in the butcher's walk in refrigerator as he doesn't use the rails having only boxed beef.
At present all my sales are to contacts in specific communities with an understanding concerning safety, once the sales expand, I will have to consider an insurance cover, I will get advise on this,as an added complication is I have requests from Canada for some specific processed meats which will require considerable research to keep everything above board.
The books I have showing the position and names of the beef joints the only problem is that the actual names of the joints are different to the American names.

I am gonna do it..... to heck with it... Like said before I can always turn it into hamburger...

We plan on butchering our 1st one in a couple months ourselves. I have experience w/ deer and hogs so I figure it will be much the same just on a bigger scale. I've got a grinder and vacume sealer so we should be set.

We used to do all our own butchering on the farm. Usually in the fall. Just usually hang them on the front end loader and skin and gut them. We used to hang them in quarters in the shop for about ten days. We just had a chart to tell us which cuts were which and we'd cut apart the main pieces with a knife and a cleaver and use a band saw to cut steaks. Its been awhile, although I did help the neighbors cut up a cow for hamburger last winter. Anyway, best of luck to you.

preston39":8n4x6lva said:
Auburn...,

If that was a response to me, thanks for the offer.

I am familiar with hogs...we never skin them...just dunk in hot H2o and scrape.

I am sure skinning a steer would require more than we plan to get into....was just curious.

I guess that was just a general comment about helping but the offer would still stand only if we were closer in location. I look at meat processing as an art. Not many people want to do it nor know how to do it. On the side I have older folks in the area when the kill a deer they will call me and I go to there place and skin it and cut out the primal cuts. Well last Monday a friends of mines dad called me and I went over and he told me he just wanted the tender loin, so I cut them out and handed it to him. He started saying that's not what I won't, but I told him that's what he asked for. He wanted the loin or back straps. I guess I just take some stuff for granted.

Here is a website that I found sometime back. It has everything form knives to instructional videos. http://www.askthemeatman.com/ordering_g ... d_faqs.htm

Correct me if I am wrong. The tenderloin is on the inside of the deer reb cage along the spine whereas the back strap is just opposite running the length of the spine on top.

Tenderloins on deer are tiny.. Was always curious about that myself though. We we purchase a tenderloin from a grocery store are we actually getting the backstrap?

KANSAS":1c6sb5k9 said:
Correct me if I am wrong. The tenderloin is on the inside of the deer reb cage along the spine whereas the back strap is just opposite running the length of the spine on top.

You are correct. Some call it "chum meat" on deer. You'd be surprised at the "hunters" that throw it away with the rib cage.

KANSAS":18px6mc3 said:

Tenderloins on deer are tiny.. Was always curious about that myself though. We we purchase a tenderloin from a grocery store are we actually getting the backstrap?
======
If you find a tenderloin which is tough.....be suspicious. We have had the experience....returned them...no doubt...back straps.

There may not be much meat in a deer tenderloin but it sure is the best if prepared right. I've found it REALLY good slow smoked. Absolutely melts in your mouth.