Butchering Brangus bull calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I have a nine month old bull calf that i would like to feed out. I did not cut him when he was younger. So my question is if i feed him out for about 90 days and have him butchered at about 1100 to 1200 lbs. Will i be ok with him still being a bull. Never done a bull before, but this one is my best option. Thanks Dave

Probably going to be a lot different than a steer, any way you can cut him now? I never had bull either, but all the testosterone is bound to make it flavored differently. More than likely, other than flavor, it's going to be leaner than a steer too.

I am weaning a steer that my uncle wants for beef. Is there anything special I should do? Right now he is getting pellets and hay.

I believe a bull gains more weight unless you implant him. If you cut him now he will fall off a bit, then recover nicely

midtncattle- I would keep him on what he is on until he is gets over weaning then start working the grain into his diet. Work him up to 2%-3% percent of his body weight in a grower type feed adjust the amount of feed as he gains to stay at the 2-3%, free choice hay or pasture, 90 days out add more fat (corn or barley to his ration)
We worm them every 45 days, rotating wormer types each time.
If you have more than 1 to feed they do better, competition and all.

I never go over 25 pounds a day, and we have averaged 3.5 adg with our slow growing club calves, over 4 a day with commercial Angus. We start with about 6 pounds a day and add a pound a feeding every 4 or 5 days until we get them where we want them on feed.
Calf weight Feed
450 -12
600 - 18
800 - 20
1000-1200 - 24
Works for us

He will be fine left a bull. We have butchered a couple of our sale bulls that did not semen check good and they were some of the best beef we have raised.

Latest posts