Butchering at weaning question

Help Support CattleToday:

ohiosteve

Reaction score
I have 2 calves; a may heifer almost 600 lbs, and a june steer about 500 lbs, I am thinking of butchering in a few weeks. They are both still nursing. I read on here someone (JSCATTLE maybe) said it was the best meat they ever had. I was wondering should I wait till the day before taking them in before pulling them off mama or would it hurt to pull them off a few days earlier and just give them good hay (they are not getting any grain). Also looking for advice on how to get them cut or would it be the same as a bigger animal. Thanks

I leave mine as long as possible . You don't want to stress the calf , And I have mine cut like the larger animals.

JSCATTLE":341gitwf said:
I leave mine as long as possible . You don't want to stress the calf , And I have mine cut like the larger animals.
Thanks JS, that's what I was thinking.

To be honest - the best thing would be to shoot them while still on mom. If that is not possible, then you want to pull them off mom & load onto the trailer for immediate processing.
I had a 4 month old heifer calf that split her bellie & dropped her guts out. She jumped over one of those small steel push in the ground posts for temp fencing. It was evidently sharp enough to slice her open like gutting a deer. She was alive when I found her, called the vet for options, then called the butcher. He came out & dressed & skinned her in the field. That was absolutely the most tender beef I have ever cooked. Didn't make any difference what cut of meat - tender - even the chuck steaks were great cooked on the grill.
I would have as much as possible cut into steaks.

I agree with them being tender. I think you will notice the marbling is not going to be good and the texture and fiber length will be more similar to pork - canned ham. It will be good. Yield will suffer a lot though.

The yield does suffer but you can cut just about anything you want into steaks . I had a 300 lb orphan I butchered . Had cutlets made out of the hind quarters and hamburger out of the rest . Best burger I've eaten . I have high colesterol . The lean beef is actually better for me .