Butchering an older cow

Help Support CattleToday:

quartermeter

Reaction score
Thinking about making hamburger out of my oldest cow. Her bag was only half full on her last calf. I feed them beer grain weekly so They get alot of grain. How will the meat be?? Will the tenderloins and ribeyes be worth keeping? Not sure what to expect. Thanks

quartermeter":4tq40ene said:
Thinking about making hamburger out of my oldest cow. Her bag was only half full on her last calf. I feed them beer grain weekly so They get alot of grain. How will the meat be?? Will the tenderloins and ribeyes be worth keeping? Not sure what to expect. Thanks

spent grain?

to answer your question if your using spent grain that keeps flesh on them and will taste fine ... however if you mix it with ddg or regular corn its a lot better

The tenderloins absolutely keep.
Ribeyes - tell the butcher to use his judgement, you/he really won't know until he cuts into them.
Roasts - cut them small 2.5 lbs or so for the crock pot.
Hamburger - some of the best hamburger comes from old cows - with age comes a stronger beefier flavor

She's probably 10-15. But her bag with her last calf was only full on 1/2 of her bag. She's bred back so I'll see this time. She's a brangus and a good mother and not mean at all. I'll give her more chances. Just checking. She won't be worth much. If I decide to I'll feed her plenty of corn 6 mo before.
Spent grain Is ground barley that was used to make beer. No carbs in it but it's 20+% protein. They love it. Thanks guys. Guess she will be burger and steaks.

Latest posts