Butchering a steer

Help Support CattleToday:

brenda

Reaction score
We have pulled a steer we want to butcher from the pasture. Angus/brangus cross, guessing he is weighing around 750-800lbs. How long should we feed him out before processing? I've heard about 3 months. We have processed before, sometimes the meat is better than other times, just wondering why. I much prefer the tender cuts than the not so tender. :)

you'll need to feed him out for 90-120 days , work him gradually up to about 10-12 pounds of corn a day , two feedings. In a perfect world , good hay / grass / minerals , he'll gain 2.5-3 lbs per day after you get him going good. Just make sure they are eating aggressively , if they start to leave some or go off feed you gave em too much , slow increase is good. start with a few lbs and work your way up in weekly increments.

Some will feed more grain and / or different combinations , I stop at 12 lbs cuz I'm chicken and don't want em grain sick which I did once and the steer never seemed to flourish really well after that , search the board and you'll find a ton of posts.

you can feed him out 90 to 120 days.an slowly work him up to 1.5 to 2% of his bw in feed.

Latest posts