Butcher Steers (pics)

Help Support CattleToday:

El_Putzo

Reaction score
Here's the two we're going to butcher in 2 weeks. I'd like to see #16 put on a little more finish, but I think #18 is pretty much ready. These two were our best two growing steers, born fall '06. 16 had a WDA of 3.21 at weaning and 18 had a WDA of 3.17. Not too bad for Momma's milk, fescue, and a little creep right before weaning.

For funsies, how about a game of "Guess that crossbred"

16Steer.jpg

18Steer.jpg

i personally think 16 is a better steer than 18. 16 looks to ahve some angus or sem in him with maybe lim ors some lighter color breed maybe swiss or even jersey. If it is an Angus jersey cross it will be very good eating. My personal favorite to butcher. 18 looks to be msotly lim with maybe some sem in him but thats jsut a shot in the dark.

Both are Sim-angus crosses. Not sure on the percentage, but as you have probably guessed, we once had a fleckvieh bull that carried the dilluter gene. Apparently their mothers have him somewhere in their pedigree. We still have a few cows that are brown colored like these, seems like they always raise big calves, so it's hard to get rid of them.

Consequently, these two are both out of brown cows.

What are the weights of the animals....#16 still looks like he is a bit to young and could use some more growing. #18 looks to be about 1050-1100.
Just me but I like to bring them up to 1200# at slaughter...still like a T-Bone the size of the dinner plate..no matter what my cardiologist says.
And that's my two bits worth...asked for or not...Dmc

On 2/3/08 #16 weighed 1170 and #18 weighed 1145. Both will be butchered this saturday, 2/9/08.