butcher steer

Help Support CattleToday:

Bannedagin i am sure you no why Laura's lean buys the bulls. They like everbody else sell alot of hamburger,not much better place to get it than a bunch of bulls.

bannedagain":2b6lxymx said:
piedmontese":2b6lxymx said:
so r u saying that laura only buys cull bulls? if so u r 100% wrong.they do buy cull bulls but dont most all packers.they also buy 5 weights and up. what problems did u have with pieds? i am interested to know because i may be able to learn from your experiences and avoid some future mistakes myself.
No I said lauras buys cull bulls as well, it seems quality takes a back row to leaness. I think you may already know part of the drawback to feeding them is gain it should never take 3 years to get a heifer to weigh 1050.
i will agree with u that pied heifers do grow slower than some breeds but i have not heard of it taking 3 years to get to 1,050lbs.i have several heifers that will be 1 beginning n february thru april and my biggest is 850lbs and my smallest is around 600lbs.actually i do have one that will be 1 in febr and she is probably only 550lbs right now.she was out of a heifer that never did really milk too well.have already sold the mom and the calf will go to slaughter.as far as quality taking a back seat to leaness i disagree.i have never had any complaints about any of my pied meat,but different people have different tastes and nobody is wrong.i also like beef from an angus or hereford or pretty much any breed of cow.i do like all of the nutritional advantages that pied meat has over just about every breed except maybe the belgian blue.to each there own.

piedmontese":2rk9bdtv said:
bannedagain":2rk9bdtv said:
piedmontese":2rk9bdtv said:
so r u saying that laura only buys cull bulls? if so u r 100% wrong.they do buy cull bulls but dont most all packers.they also buy 5 weights and up. what problems did u have with pieds? i am interested to know because i may be able to learn from your experiences and avoid some future mistakes myself.
No I said lauras buys cull bulls as well, it seems quality takes a back row to leaness. I think you may already know part of the drawback to feeding them is gain it should never take 3 years to get a heifer to weigh 1050.
i will agree with u that pied heifers do grow slower than some breeds but i have not heard of it taking 3 years to get to 1,050lbs.i have several heifers that will be 1 beginning n february thru april and my biggest is 850lbs and my smallest is around 600lbs.actually i do have one that will be 1 in febr and she is probably only 550lbs right now.she was out of a heifer that never did really milk too well.have already sold the mom and the calf will go to slaughter.as far as quality taking a back seat to leaness i disagree.i have never had any complaints about any of my pied meat,but different people have different tastes and nobody is wrong.i also like beef from an angus or hereford or pretty much any breed of cow.i do like all of the nutritional advantages that pied meat has over just about every breed except maybe the belgian blue.to each there own.

Something isn't adding up here.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=67713&p=801372#p801372

Simple math puts that 3 year old heifer at around 1050# on the hoof.

Red Bull Breeder":w2pugygx said:
Bannedagin i am sure you no why Laura's lean buys the bulls. They like everbody else sell alot of hamburger,not much better place to get it than a bunch of bulls.
Yep along with low dollar canner cows.

well bandedagain your simple math ain't worth a sh!t.i guarantee my heifer weighed more than 1,050.all of 1,200 for sure and that was all on grass and grass hay.u need to talk about topics that u know something about.who needs a big fat grained up animal to butcher so they can trim off most of that fat and u pay for it? my ground beef is 90% lean untrimmed.pieds are somewhat of a specialty breed and are not in competition with angus,herf or many of the other traditional breeds.i have never had any complaints from anyone who has bought meat from a pied.i know many people enjoy a well marbled angus steak and that is great because there r plenty of them,heck i like em too.but there r also health minded folks who want a piece of meat that works well for there diet and that is where the pieds come n.have u ever even had a pied steak or burger? they are more tender than any other i have ever had and flavorful.

piedmontese":1v27xrve said:
well bandedagain your simple math ain't worth a be nice.i guarantee my heifer weighed more than 1,050.all of 1,200 for sure and that was all on grass and grass hay.u need to talk about topics that u know something about.who needs a big fat grained up animal to butcher so they can trim off most of that fat and u pay for it? my ground beef is 90% lean untrimmed.pieds are somewhat of a specialty breed and are not in competition with angus,herf or many of the other traditional breeds.i have never had any complaints from anyone who has bought meat from a pied.i know many people enjoy a well marbled angus steak and that is great because there r plenty of them,heck i like em too.but there r also health minded folks who want a piece of meat that works well for there diet and that is where the pieds come n.have u ever even had a pied steak or burger? they are more tender than any other i have ever had and flavorful.
What actaul unbiased data is there that leaner grassfed beef is healthier? The last stuff I saw just a couple of mnths ago pretty well debunked the higher in this and lower in that deal. It was even posted on here if I remember correctly. It seems that still some producers feel they have to bash the another segment to market their product.

dun":2il7njlx said:
piedmontese":2il7njlx said:
well bandedagain your simple math ain't worth a be nice.i guarantee my heifer weighed more than 1,050.all of 1,200 for sure and that was all on grass and grass hay.u need to talk about topics that u know something about.who needs a big fat grained up animal to butcher so they can trim off most of that fat and u pay for it? my ground beef is 90% lean untrimmed.pieds are somewhat of a specialty breed and are not in competition with angus,herf or many of the other traditional breeds.i have never had any complaints from anyone who has bought meat from a pied.i know many people enjoy a well marbled angus steak and that is great because there r plenty of them,heck i like em too.but there r also health minded folks who want a piece of meat that works well for there diet and that is where the pieds come n.have u ever even had a pied steak or burger? they are more tender than any other i have ever had and flavorful.
What actaul unbiased data is there that leaner grassfed beef is healthier? The last stuff I saw just a couple of mnths ago pretty well debunked the higher in this and lower in that deal. It was even posted on here if I remember correctly. It seems that still some producers feel they have to bash the another segment to market their product.
i am not bashing any breed.i think every producer has the right to raise what breed he wants and every consummer has the right to buy what they want. as far as unbiased data all u have to do is google nutritional values of pied beef and many of the other popular common breeds and u will see that none of them compare as far as low fat,cholesterol,calories.the protein content of pied beef is also much higher than others and omega 3 is higher.these facts r not my opinion they r facts.its really pretty simple as far as i am concerned,just buy what tastes good to u.i try to eat healthy but sometimes i say screw it and eat a hotdog.

piedmontese":3etwiltf said:
Well now "all of 1200# for sure" that makes that pied heifer dress at no more than 57% almost 7% below the national average. I'm trying to help you to understand the drawbacks of the breed and you are taking this personal. I've said it a hundred times before our cattle are like our children, we all think we have the best ones in the world far better than anyone elses, but in reality sometimes we have rotten no good for nothing kids and cattle.

bannedagain":kgx18kvl said:
piedmontese":kgx18kvl said:
Well now "all of 1200# for sure" that makes that pied heifer dress at no more than 57% almost 7% below the national average. I'm trying to help you to understand the drawbacks of the breed and you are taking this personal. I've said it a hundred times before our cattle are like our children, we all think we have the best ones in the world far better than anyone elses, but in reality sometimes we have rotten no good for nothing kids and cattle.
i dont really care what she weighed before slaughter as much as i do what the hanging weight was and how much product i brought home.those numbers i know for sure and they were good.a big overfed fat animal is not going to produce more eatable product than a well conditioned ready for butcher animal,but she will cost u more $$.you have only named one drawback n your opinion of the pied breed.if u have any real hands on experience with this breed and care to share it with me that would be great,if not then thanks anyway.i have never claimed that my cattle r the best but i do know that i know MY cattle better than anyone else just as everyone else on here knows there cattle the best.

piedmontese":1ba40gtp said:
i dont really care what she weighed before slaughter as much as i do what the hanging weight was and how much product i brought home.those numbers i know for sure and they were good.a big overfed fat animal is not going to produce more eatable product than a well conditioned ready for butcher animal,but she will cost u more $$.you have only named one drawback n your opinion of the pied breed.if u have any real hands on experience with this breed and care to share it with me that would be great,if not then thanks anyway.i have never claimed that my cattle r the best but i do know that i know MY cattle better than anyone else just as everyone else on here knows there cattle the best.
Sir you have provided 2 examples of the shortcomings of pied cattle, both of which I have also seen in the feedlot. You have taken me addressing the problems with the breed personal. There isn't much more to discuss. But I hope you understand every breed has negatives to go along with their positives not just pieds.

I would like to see the peer reviewed research as to how much healthier one type of beef is to another. When I google the results just come from breed associations, activist groups and the like - no stats to prove anything. Anybody have those links?

a 3.5 oz pied steak has 104 calories,1.9 grams of total fat,cholesterol 31.5 and protein 21.6. a traditional 3.5oz steak has 245 calories,11.3 grams of fat,72 cholesterol and 18.5 protein.

who eats a 3.5 oz steak....i eat 4 of those at a time...my steaks all go at least a lb...3.5 oz steak..aaaahahahahaa :lol:

hayray":ae6xwcb4 said:
Could you please provide the research to support the claim.
all u gotta do is google nutritional value of beef and u can search different breeds.

dieselbeef":o3tie4n8 said:
who eats a 3.5 oz steak....i eat 4 of those at a time...my steaks all go at least a lb...3.5 oz steak..aaaahahahahaa :lol:
well i guess u can just eat 4 of the small steaks. do u sale 1lb steaks? i sale my meat 1/4,1/2,or whole and let the buyer choose there cuts and sizes.i never have anyone request 1lb steaks.usually 8-12oz steaks and 2-3lb roasts and 1lb or 2lb ground beef packs.

Latest posts