butcher steer

Help Support CattleToday:

andrews29

Reaction score
good afternoon i took a angus steer to the butcher mon hanging wt is 611 pounds how much meat would you all excepted to get back ?

Depends on what cuts your getting, and how lean or fat the steer is. I'd say 500 lbs easy, maybe more

With bone in and traditional cutting around 50%, could be a little more could be a little less

Dun, 50% on the hoof weight, or 50 of the hang weight? I would think that bone in traditional cutting, avg fat it would be much better than 50 of the hang weight.

andrews29":zxl691jc said:
i went boneless
I have no idea then. You could look up the MARC paper on % of bone and do some tricky math. Or someone else may have a btter idea. The other option is wait till you get it back then let everyone here know what the weights were.

i just picked up a piedmontese heifer last week from the butcher.she had a hanging weight of 690lbs and we ended up with 534lbs of all bonless product.u can't get that good of % on an angus.piedmontese is an extremely lean and double muscled breed.i have never had below 72% finished product.

piedmontese":2ymvel26 said:
i just picked up a piedmontese heifer last week from the butcher.she had a hanging weight of 690lbs and we ended up with 534lbs of all bonless product.u can't get that good of % on an angus.piedmontese is an extremely lean and double muscled breed.i have never had below 72% finished product.
You would think with the ability to yield that high feedlot around thge nation would be full of these piedmontese cattle. Packers wouldn't be able to get enough cattle that yield like that. Feedlot owners would be selling on the yield everyone would be happy as happy could be. Must be something to this breed that makes feedlots full of angus instead.

bannedagain":27sm63go said:
piedmontese":27sm63go said:
You would think with the ability to yield that high feedlot around thge nation would be full of these piedmontese cattle. Packers wouldn't be able to get enough cattle that yield like that. Feedlot owners would be selling on the yield everyone would be happy as happy could be. Must be something to this breed that makes feedlots full of angus instead.

YOU would also have to think that even YOU cannot be this big of a HORSES A$$ all the time but YOU make it look easy :tiphat: :frowns:

bannedagain":21nyepad said:
piedmontese":21nyepad said:
there are a few reasons that i can think of y the feedlots r not full of pieds,one being that there is not nearly enough of them to supply.another reason is that they r a relatively new breed to the u.s. and most cattlemen raise what there dad and grandpa raised because it is what they know.piedmontese is like any other breed in that they all have + and -.one negative i have noticed about the pieds is that they do require a little more care than some other breeds.the heifers also seem to mature a little later than most,although not as late as brahma.the benefits are of course the yields and lean meat that is also very tender.yields above 70% for a pied is not uncommon.this heifer was in excellent condition and had not been grained a bit.the reason we butchered her was that she did not breed.

3waycross":242okv4e said:
bannedagain":242okv4e said:
piedmontese":242okv4e said:

YOU would also have to think that even YOU cannot be this big of a HORSES A$$ all the time but YOU make it look easy :tiphat: :frowns:
I see you still have not grown up. Must be terrible to have to sit waiting for my next post so you can make a fool of yourself yet again.

coming from someone named Bannedagain that doesn't seem to hurt as much as if you were actually a normal person, or at least not a complete horses a$$.

what makes you think you can attack folks for no reason and get away with it. I promise you a similar respose EVERY time you make a post like that.

3waycross":1h2p6mrp said:
coming from someone named Bannedagain that doesn't seem to hurt as much as if you were actually a normal person, or at least not a complete horses a$$.

what makes you think you can attack folks for no reason and get away with it. I promise you a similar respose EVERY time you make a post like that.
Tell us all why every packer and feedlot aren't paying a premium for these cattle if they are so good. I didn't attack anyone I asked a question based upon using undeniable facts.

bannedagain":1s5cjwqd said:
3waycross":1s5cjwqd said:

Tell us all why every packer and feedlot aren't paying a premium for these cattle if they are so good. I didn't attack anyone I asked a question based upon using undeniable facts.
i guess u cant read.i already told u a couple reasons why the feedlots r not wanting them more.however have u ever heard of lauras lean beef in tennessee? they do pay a premium for pieds and pied x as well as a few other breeds,there is also a place in montana called montana lean and they too pay a premium.sondegrath meats in mendota illinois will also pay a premium and he pays the same for heifers as he does for steers.i kinda get the feeling u think i may b lying about my yield % which if u r u might want to do some research on the piedmontese breed and u will discover that yields above 70% r not uncommon.

piedmontese":364r3vwc said:
bannedagain":364r3vwc said:
3waycross":364r3vwc said:

i guess u cant read.i already told u a couple reasons why the feedlots r not wanting them more.however have u ever heard of lauras lean beef in tennessee? they do pay a premium for pieds and pied x as well as a few other breeds,there is also a place in montana called montana lean and they too pay a premium.sondegrath meats in mendota illinois will also pay a premium and he pays the same for heifers as he does for steers.i kinda get the feeling u think i may b lying about my yield % which if u r u might want to do some research on the piedmontese breed and u will discover that yields above 70% r not uncommon.
The last question was directed at 3 way hence the quote. I'm not questioning your boxed yield. I fed the cattle before, they have underlying problems that outweigh the slight boxed yield. Lauras buys old cull bulls as well.

so r u saying that laura only buys cull bulls? if so u r 100% wrong.they do buy cull bulls but dont most all packers.they also buy 5 weights and up. what problems did u have with pieds? i am interested to know because i may be able to learn from your experiences and avoid some future mistakes myself.

On a 610 hg wt steer you most likely will be some where a little over 300 lbs., maybe up to 350 lbs. of meat if a real high yield grade. On my Angus I have to be up in the 700 lb. carcass to get up to 400 lbs. of meat.

piedmontese":2w3xixfz said:
so r u saying that laura only buys cull bulls? if so u r 100% wrong.they do buy cull bulls but dont most all packers.they also buy 5 weights and up. what problems did u have with pieds? i am interested to know because i may be able to learn from your experiences and avoid some future mistakes myself.
No I said lauras buys cull bulls as well, it seems quality takes a back row to leaness. I think you may already know part of the drawback to feeding them is gain it should never take 3 years to get a heifer to weigh 1050.