Butcher Questions...

Help Support CattleToday:

I just ran the numbers backwards from the 405 lbs packaged weight and came up with the following. (this is based on beef breeds)

On average with a beef breed and using a standard cut she should have gotten 121 lbs of fat bone and trimmings, 89 lbs of steaks, 89 lbs of roasts, 105 lbs of burger for a total standard cut of 405lbs which would equate to a hanging weight of 552 and a hoof weight of 883. I think the 883 hoof weight is more realistic.

Based on what I know to be as fact (and I say this because I've been friends with her for a very long time) She weighed the meat herself and came up with the 405 pounds. Doing the math backward, the hanging weight of that steer should have been much less than what she was told. Though he was very, very tall (as I said, I could not see over his back if I were standing flat on my feet), the numbers just don't come out right.
Now, I must add that I did grain and feed him through the winter. It would have been very neglectful of me if I had not done so. The prairie grass doesn't have any nutritional value in the winter. However, once the spring grass was tall and green, I cut back on this additional feed as per my friend's request.

Height doesn't neccessarily equate to weight it relates more to waste. But I agree, some numbers are a little screwy on someone's part. Maybe a better way to approach this question is how much did she have to pay to have it slaughtered and what type packaging did he use and what size packs of meat did she request if you are trying to determine if the fella gigged her. It very well could be they do an adjustment for the onsite work in their billing system rather than breaking the fees down individually. Or he could have fudged the weight to be able to bill more if he did detail the other fees. Just a thought.

Alan":1v2uhox8 said:
Wasn't going to go into this and it is not meant to offend the poster. If I was a mobile butcher and had several animals coming through my shop, even in a years period, I would have my choice of beef to choose from including a nice fat, well marbled young beef animal. I don't think 100lbs of a grass finished dairy animal would be my first choice. Yes, I know Jersy and Holstein put out some good tasting meat, so no offense to anyone. I'm just saying there are a lot of unknowns here.

Alan

No offense taken here, to each is his own.

Jogeephus":1rtpt9ec said:
Height doesn't neccessarily equate to weight it relates more to waste.

Exactly what I was getting at... I'm thinking he was a boney steer, tall and big bones. So, his hanging weight may be high, but the cut and wrapped weight would be low. Also, he had bulked up more after that picture was taken... But still don't think that quite makes up the difference since she asked for everything back... :?

Now you got me confused.(not hard to do) One minute its a big steer that needs a tractor to lift it off the ground, then its a tight-hided calf, now its a tall boney thing. And yes a framey calf isn't going to dress out as well especially one that is not bred for meat production but I think what everyone is trying to point out to you is the initial weight was wrong. But none of this really matters just so long as she paid a fair price for the butchering. So what is the total price did she pay to have it butchered? This can then be compared to what others pay and the answer to whether or not you should use him in the future is answered. I do not believe the initial hanging weight for that type calf under said conditions would be more than 900 lbs no matter how tall he was.

I didn't ask how much she paid for the processing... didn't think it polite to ask. When I go to take MY steer to butcher then I'll ask, but the original agreement was that I keep the animal on my land and in exchange for a % of the meat.
I've been concerned about the whole processing thing since getting the information, just had to get opinions from others to see if it was just me, or if there really may have been something "hinky" going on...

Btw, why did you feed any grain if the owner wanted grass fed?
Just curious since it wasn't your animal.

Kathie in Thorp":2ucaytuq said:
Approx. 2 yr. Jersey steer we butchered last fall -- on pasture and then grain/alfalfa finished for about 70 days -- hung at 549 lbs.

You wouldn't by chance have the hoof weight do you? I'd like to see what if any type modification or adjustment needs to be made when figuring dairy type cattle.

Jogeephus":2lcqutim said:
Kathie in Thorp":2lcqutim said:
Approx. 2 yr. Jersey steer we butchered last fall -- on pasture and then grain/alfalfa finished for about 70 days -- hung at 549 lbs.

You wouldn't by chance have the hoof weight do you? I'd like to see what if any type modification or adjustment needs to be made when figuring dairy type cattle.
No, I don't, Jo. He may have been 20 mos. vs. 24. We bought him Oct. 2011 at maybe 350-400 lbs. ? butchered Nov. 2011. He was always an empty tank needing to be filled.

In my experience when butchering jerseys it's still a 60/40 split on meat vs carcass but the 60% is the carcass/guts/and skin and and 40% being the meat. I strickly grass feed and most get butchered at 24-28 months and avg 750-800 lbs live weight and get roughly 350lbs of meat.

hooknline":32opn8jt said:
Now it's sounding like you think the owner of the steer shorted you.
Not at all, she's a very good friend, I'd never think that of her. I think the numbers she was give for the hanging weight was off, but believe her 100% that the weight of the meat she received is exactly what she got!

hooknline":uhqgo1o0 said:
Two reasons, 1- to get him to come up to the gate at the same time everyday. 2- so he'd recognize the grain can and follow it anywhere... including into a surround set up to "dispatch" him.
No stress, no running, no problem!

Jogeephus":31rdbryu said:
Kathie in Thorp":31rdbryu said:

Jo calf fed holsteins will dress at the national average. Non calf feds about 5 under.

lilfarmangel":2sjg52gl said:
hooknline":2sjg52gl said:
Two reasons, 1- to get him to come up to the gate at the same time everyday. 2- so he'd recognize the grain can and follow it anywhere... including into a surround set up to "dispatch" him.
Does she know she got grain fed?

lilfarmangel":2efoa31w said:
hooknline":2efoa31w said:

And no grass fed beef!

SSGenetics":20bpioej said:
lilfarmangel":20bpioej said:
hooknline":20bpioej said:

And no grass fed beef!

Reason 3?
Now, I must add that I did grain and feed him through the winter. It would have been very neglectful of me if I had not done so. The prairie grass doesn't have any nutritional value in the winter. However, once the spring grass was tall and green, I cut back on this additional feed as per my friend's request.

The owner wanted "grass fed meat". So that's what we got!

Well, kindof sortof maybe but only with different similarities she did.

hooknline":10hd802v said:
lilfarmangel":10hd802v said:
hooknline":10hd802v said:
Does she know she got grain fed?
yes she knew...
This is totally off the topic... I'm out... :wave:

Latest posts