Butcher Questions...

Help Support CattleToday:

Hook you're kind of beating a dead horse ..... Okay I'll use the emoticon :deadhorse:

I wouldn't consider a steer bribed with a little grain a grain fed beef.

Lifarmangel, good question to start a good topic. Some folks on here just like to shake things up to see who bites.

Anyway great topic and :welcome:

Alan

Alan":sb6bz7wq said:
Hook you're kind of beating a dead horse ..... Okay I'll use the emoticon :deadhorse:

Lifarmangel, good question to start a good topic. Some folks on here just like to shake things up to see who bites.

Alan

Thank you Alan... I really appreciate your opinion on this subject and the input from everyone! :) It's reassuring to know that DH's concerns were well founded! We've taken our game meat to a different shop, the one closer to us... when the time comes, we may take our steer there as well.
It's just good to know I can come here and ask my question and feel confident that I'll get a reliable opinion!
Thanks again! :nod:

Alan":1yiyy1s8 said:

Alan
Not beating the dead horse. Just looking for points of clarification in all this confusion.

Did she figure in your share of the meat when she was weighing the total haul? That could throw things out of whack quickly.

lilfarmangel":1dtp7rwd said:
Alan":1dtp7rwd said:

Alan

It's just good to know I can come here and ask my question and feel confident that I'll get a reliable opinion!

You can reliably get an opinion here. Ask how many loaves of bread you need to serve the moon in grilled cheese sandwiches--you'll get several estimates and a couple may even come close to an accurate number. But reliable opinions are quite another thing.

lilfarmangel":3djz9774 said:
Alan":3djz9774 said:

Alan

Thank you Alan... I really appreciate your opinion on this subject and the input from everyone! :) It's reassuring to know that DH's concerns were well founded! We've taken our game meat to a different shop, the one closer to us... when the time comes, we may take our steer there as well.

I'm concerned that your missing what most are thinking. The original hanging weight, is incorrect and is actually the live weight.

It would make sense for all the other numbers.

Did you speak with the butcher directly? I think the problem may be someone got information from too many sources and all aren't on the same page. The number may be correct, and the butcher may weigh cattle hanging, but seriously don't believe that it is the calf's hanging weight.

Good luck with your other calves. I don't remember age and breed. But if they are similar, you will have 2 sets of numbers to compare and figure out where the problem is.

Theft is a big thing to accuse someone of. Be careful what you say around as this person's livelyhood can be affected, and that would be ashame if he is doing legitimate work like it sure sounds to me.

Kathie in Thorp":31h897rd said:
Jogeephus":31h897rd said:
Kathie in Thorp":31h897rd said:
Approx. 2 yr. Jersey steer we butchered last fall -- on pasture and then grain/alfalfa finished for about 70 days -- hung at 549 lbs.

You wouldn't by chance have the hoof weight do you? I'd like to see what if any type modification or adjustment needs to be made when figuring dairy type cattle.
No, I don't, Jo. He may have been 20 mos. vs. 24. We bought him Oct. 2011 at maybe 350-400 lbs. ? butchered Nov. 2011. He was always an empty tank needing to be filled.
Just realized a typo here. We bought that steer at 350 lbs. or so in Oct. 2010 -- then butchered Nov. 2011.

Commercialfarmer":lc5p3axo said:
I'm concerned that your missing what most are thinking. The original hanging weight, is incorrect and is actually the live weight.

Commercialfarmer":lc5p3axo said:
Theft is a big thing to accuse someone of. Be careful what you say around as this person's livelyhood can be affected, and that would be ashame if he is doing legitimate work like it sure sounds to me.
I watched the mobile butcher come out, shoot him, decapitate him, remove the hooves, skin him and remove all "guts". All this was put into a plastic trash can separate from the carcass. I called the shop where the mobile slaughter was told to take the carcass (owner chooses shop to take it to, not the mobile slaughter) That shop told me the hanging weight is taken upon arrival.
The opinions stated here are for my own peace of mind, and not as evidence to accuse anyone of any wrong doing... Opinions are just that - OPINIONS, not fact.
I think this tread is getting too long for the views... all this information has been given in previous replies... If you're looking for more information, EVERYTHING pertinent to the question has been already stated in earlier posts... :deadhorse: I'm not commenting any further on this thread... sorry gang!
Later y'all... I'm done with this thread...
:wave:

Latest posts