Butcher calf or calves?

Help Support CattleToday:

jayhawker

Reaction score
I am looking at raising one butcher calf or yearling. Some of the old timers around here have told me one calf by itself would be fine, others stated it would be a disaster. Our acreage is surrounded by row crop so it would truly be alone. I am not opposed to having more than one cow, we do have enough fenced in land to support up to four or five, but it is going to be hard on the budget. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
David

lynnmcmahan":313u4yj9 said:
What the heck, get two, butcher one sell one and make a few bucks. Just don't fall in love with them.
This is what I would do . Let the one you sell pay for the one you eat .

David,

Cattle are herd animals and therefore have a need to be with their own kind.
Cattle that are raised alone suffer from constant stress which causes poor weight gain and the quality of meat suffers and sometimes they develop a poor attitude which can cause you some real problems.

I'm convinced the heifer that showed up to my place came from someone who had it penned by itself and was feeding it out. Never did figure out who owned it. Beefy said it was his but after looking at it decided it was in too good of shape and wasn't wormy enough to be. That's how I knew it wasn't mine too.

If you get the right calf you can raise it by itself, it is done all the time, you just need to be selective in your choice. Do not get the bundle of nervous muscle that runs 50 feet from you and then turns to stare at you with his tail and his head held high. You want calves that are weaned, eating on their own and vaccinated. Pick the gentlest one you can. We always picked the calf who stayed with his head in the bunk eating as the others scattered, his priorities were right.
Keep him in a small corral, 24X24 or smaller, that he can not get out of, until he is gentle. Once he is tamed, not climbing the fence every time you come around, basically heads to the feed bunk when he sees you, you can think about turning him out to the pasture.

If it were me I would try going with 2, I would still get calves like I described above and handle them the same when you bring them home.

Make sure when you unload at home, that there is no way for them to get out, if there is it/ they will.

IME-Most cattle are happier and you will experience less stress if they are with another of their kind.

if your area supports it, get two, and has been said, sell one and butcher one.

:dunce: I RAISED 1 ONLY ONCE PIED HERFORD STEER HE CAME OUT FINE FOR ME ,DON'T KNOW IF HE WAS HAPPY I DON'T SPEEK A LICK OF ITALIAN.No seriously he was fine but he had a couple german shepards n 12 chickens for company. Since then I try to keep them in pairs. :dunce:

Latest posts