But is it country?

Help Support CattleToday:

A damsite more country then a lot of the crap that makes the claim today.

That first one that Frankie posted, I think the lyrics are country all the way while the music definitely showed some pop influence. Don Williams is a heck of a songwriter. He wrote Tulsa Time and had a hit with it, then Eric Clapton did it and it was a hit on the rock charts too. Good music is good music, but some of it just don't fit neatly into one category.

One fine country song. Great references to the Williams boys, John R, etc.
WSM wasn't the strongest station on my transistor radio when I was a kid, but I remember John R.
In the same vein, I really miss the great AM stations. The 50,000 watt clear channel variety.

One of the reasons I love country music, especially the older stuff, is that often the song tells a story. This one is one of the best, IMO.

you just cant beat don williams.now thats country.not the junk thats labled country today.

Thank you for posting the song of Don Williams, i listen to all the ones on youtube then i listen to all of the ones of Merl. All of thoses songs brought me back to when i was growning up and working with Dad. He always had the radio on.

Saw Don Williams open for The Hag once. He put old Merle to shame with just his guitar and a stool to sit on. I've been a fan ever since.

alacattleman":2go1pltb said:
Lammie":2go1pltb said:
Saw Don Williams open for The Hag once. He put old Merle to shame with just his guitar and a stool to sit on. I've been a fan ever since.
bull sht :cowboy:

Lammie I believe you have "hit a nerve" Be careful what you say about Ole Merle. You could start a pretty good fight.

3waycross":hjgq4rgj said:
alacattleman":hjgq4rgj said:
Lammie":hjgq4rgj said:
bull sht :cowboy:

Lammie I believe you have "hit a nerve" Be careful what you say about Ole Merle. You could start a pretty good fight.
got that right ;-) ,,,say anybody seen this movie yet http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-AyD661tUE

I'm sorry to say it, but he did. I don't know why. I guess it was impressive that old Don was just sitting and picking and singing, then Merle comes out to put on a show, big outfit, showmanship and all that. I guess they were two different things, but it was just more, I don't know, intimate, when Don Williams was on. He made a good impression for just a guy and a guitar. It was like he didn't need anything else.

Anybody seen Garth Brooks' new show? I've heard it's just him and his guitar in Las Vegas. Three days a week so he can fly back to Oklahoma and be with his kids.

old boss man went to his concert years ago said he sit there and sang one song after another never said any thing in between,, someone in the crowd yelled hey don why dont sing one for us.. he said ill get around too one in a minute. :p

Frankie":25jq2q4s said:
Anybody seen Garth Brooks' new show? I've heard it's just him and his guitar in Las Vegas. Three days a week so he can fly back to Oklahoma and be with his kids.
afraid he lost me as a fan a few years ago,, though i liked him at first, he just didnt stay true .when he broke into his circus act

Many many years ago we saw Willy Nelson in his first ever concert. He came out with just his old guitar and stuck a microphone in a hole in the bottom. Helluva show. He opened for The Killer. There were a coup0le of other acts too, some female and slim whitman. Those 2 got hooted off the stage and willy and JL came back for curtain call after curtain call and they would do a couloe f numbers then the other one would come out and do the same. Willy looked embarassed after th first few time but JL was just loving it. Someone in the audiece wpould yeall out a song adnd he would do it. That was one concert that I felt I had gotten my money worth

Frankie":eoynnxhs said:

Geeeeez Frankie. you had me firmly in your corner with Don Williams but GARTH BROOKS he's about as country as Donald Trump. How the heck can you present yourself as country when you are admittedly scared of horses. Now you want to talk about George Strait that's a man and a REAL country singer.

Latest posts