Busy last couple days

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Yesterday started out normal enough, except for the 4 hour meeting with lawyers. Got home, and jumped on the tractor to start clearing a new fenceline of some really thick palmettos and scrub oaks and young pines. Got 200 ft good and cleared when I see smoke really billowing from the neighbors place. So I jump in the truck, and the brush fire is 30 ft tall and running. Neighbor and his adult daughter fighting it with water hoses. I grab the hose from the daughter and tell her she needs to get back. As I hit the head of the fire where its running thru piles of pine needles, FD shows up and the hit the worst of it. We were able to hold it at a fenceline and stop it from getting over on some stockpiled grass paddocks where it would have really ran good as dry as its been. It did burn up a decent bay boat and a 3 phase metal sheer before it was out.
Got back to clearing more fenceline today and got a total of 1000 ft done. I had forgotten how much of a pain it is to clear land. Someone remind me next time I get the urge to clear please, and if anyone wants to come fence it for me, have at it

I wouldn't mind helping you clean it up but when it comes to the fence you are on your own. I have 80 acres of roots we are picking up now, boy I am having fun.

How are your neighbors? did the fire do any damage to thier home? and good on you for helping. Now your've cleared the site look at it that it's done for a while, and when you see the things start to sprout cut them back before they become a chore again. Happy fence laying, I don't envy you on that one.

The neighbors and the house are fine,almost got their barn though. I've got a friend with a post pounder, so the fencing actually should be too bad

Nothing like fighting fire after cleaning up a fence row. Did a little fire fighting today myself. I would have paid $200 for 50 more foot of water hose. Why do people always insist on putting their wells on the other side of their yards?

I guess well pumps are too loud and ugly and they can always get more hose. Spent another 8 hrs on the tractor today, but gotta say I'm happy with the fuel consumption. 5 gallons and 14 hrs use. Hard use too

I didn't know these old masseys got that kind of fuel consumption either. Its got the perkins 4 cylinder in it

Well, got 1200 ft of fence line cleared good enough to run a golf cart thru. Why a golf cart? Because that's how my MIL gets around on her new land. I'm tired of tractor work for now. Used to be sorta fun, but I'm over it for now. Fence goes up next weekend

we all have them bad days,glad you was able to help them with the fire.we have a knotthead neighbor that decided to burn trash with high winds.wich in turn burned his lil pasture off,an almost burned a cousins hay stack an got into our back pasture.you should enjoy all the tractor time your getting.

Joe! Don't you have a bottle calf to go feed? I do enjoy tractor work most of the time, just not days on end in dusty conditions.at least its not hot yet

Latest posts