Busy 18 hours.

Help Support CattleToday:

So when you shave all that hair off, can they go back out into the cold?
Also the person down on his knees, is he wearing his pajamas? Can you not buy him a proper toboggan?
That him is my wife, her sister makes those winter pants and they have a lot of fun with the pattens. Long way from New York here.

Yes, they spend a few nights in the barn but are out during the day. When done with antibiotics they join the pairs of their group.

Unbelievable!
I'm always in such disbelief that a cow will stand there like that the entire time. Just amazing!

Get some rest. U certainly had a day!

Thank you for the pictures as well.
We do use Lidocaine, they generally don't feel anything. Then ten days of antibiotics and Metacam.

Unbelievable!
I'm always in such disbelief that a cow will stand there like that the entire time. Just amazing!

Get some rest. U certainly had a day!

Thank you for the pictures as well.
It really gets to me too. And when they take a garden hose to rinse out all the corruption before they close them up.

You make a good effort with the cleanliness Dave. I don't like to use the term sterility in these situations as it is impossible to have a sterile situation in barns around cows. Having things mechanically clean and minimising contamination will go a long way in achieving success and having a good system and restraint further reduces contamination and lets you get the job done efficiently. I like the drapes and that low side rail, looks purpose built.
What suture materials are you using Dave? I get a bit lost with the modern materials, nothing knotted better than the old chromic catgut for the internal stuff.

Ken

Never! I strive to be cleaner than that. Whatever was produced inside the cow will be absorbed by the cow.
I've seen it done. I'd think the vet knows a thing or two. They survived just fine cleaned out with a garden hose but the ones done out in the pasture without the hose didn't.

You make a good effort with the cleanliness Dave. I don't like to use the term sterility in these situations as it is impossible to have a sterile situation in barns around cows. Having things mechanically clean and minimising contamination will go a long way in achieving success and having a good system and restraint further reduces contamination and lets you get the job done efficiently. I like the drapes and that low side rail, looks purpose built.
What suture materials are you using Dave? I get a bit lost with the modern materials, nothing knotted better than the old chromic catgut for the internal stuff.

Ken
Thanks Ken, when I first got started a couple vets helped out by letting me watch and ask questions. There was a time we lived closer to town and if there was a trailer or stock rack at the unloading spot there I would stop in. My best help came from an old rancher who mentored me in several areas. He always stressed to use lots of penicillin as it could cover mistakes somewhat.

My wife being a surgeon enjoyed the pictures. I said to her "that's how you do it if we ever need to." Probably not a good idea for me to try something like that. 😆

I got to thinking and this may be a dumb question but is just the skin numbed or is there a nerve block?

How often does the Vet call you?😂 You sure don't have to call them much with those kinda skills. I imagine meds are about all you use them for. Really nice job and always love seeing your pictures.

My wife being a surgeon enjoyed the pictures. I said to her "that's how you do it if we ever need to." Probably not a good idea for me to try something like that. 😆

I got to thinking and this may be a dumb question but is just the skin numbed or is there a nerve block?
Nerve block and I also go down incision area with Lidocaine.

How often does the Vet call you?😂 You sure don't have to call them much with those kinda skills. I imagine meds are about all you use them for. Really nice job and always love seeing your pictures.
Vets come for preg test and semen testing. The rest we do ourselves. I can preg test but I am not fast or accurate enough to satisfy myself.