Busting Ice

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
I rarely have to bust ice on the ponds. It got down to 0 last night so the ice is pretty thick. I about worked myself to death using an 8 pound tamper to smash holes in the ice. I found an old tool in the barn that worked better but I don't know what it is. I am sure it is much older than I. I got it at an auction "bundled" with other tools. It is on a handle like an axe. It has a wide "hawkbill" blade at the end and the edges are sharpened like an axe. The whole head is about 16" long. It cuts through the ice so instead of busting it the ice can be cut out in big chunks. What is the name of this tool? What types of tools do ya'll northern folk use for ice busting or do you just use water heaters in troughs?

that sounds like a woodsplitting maul.but hey sounds like it works great for chopping ice.

I may post a pic later. I don't think it is a maul cause it aint very heavy. It is more like a wide hawkbill blade attached vertically on an axe handle. The blade is about 7" wide and 16" long.

HOSS":3h7mospr said:
dun":3h7mospr said:
Does it look like one of these?
Yep like that bottom one except the blade is wider and goes through the handle with bolts going through steel plates and wood at same time.

Probably just a variation of the brush hook that we used to use for fighting brush/rangeland fire.

dun":174zpeye said:
HOSS":174zpeye said:
dun":174zpeye said:
Does it look like one of these?
Yep like that bottom one except the blade is wider and goes through the handle with bolts going through steel plates and wood at same time.

Probably just a variation of the brush hook that we used to use for fighting brush/rangeland fire.

We've always call those a brush ax. I've got two of them. They are hard to find but I finally got one. Then Dad passed on and I got his too. They are the best thing I have found for cleaning brush out of a fence manually. That is the only thing I use it for.

We always just used an axe in SE Kansas. Not as cold as some places but it got the job done.

We use a rubber mallet on the ball waterers but I can imagine that would be a little time consuming and tedious on the ponds!

ive got a friend that used his car once to bust the ice on the pool.an on the day he drove his front end out on the ice it broke.thus making his car get stuck in the pool.so he had to walk back to the barn.an get 1 of the tractors an his hired hand.so they could pull his car out of the pool.

I just use a dibble but instead of stepping(jumping) on it I just jam it straight down

Latest posts