Bush hog

Help Support CattleToday:

kerley

Reaction score
My bush hog blades are getting very dull. Is it proper to sharpen them or replace them. I am concerned about a balance of blade weight/vibration. Sure do need some advice.
Thank's, Kerley

Kerley,I have sharpend mine 2 different times already and can't tell they viberated any more than usual.I take them off and use an angle grinder on them.Sure makes them cut better.

Cal

You won't have anymore vibrations than normal if you sharpen the blades. If you replace the blades always replace both. Never have the tractor running while your working on a rotary mower. I know it sounds stupid but folks get hurt all the time. One of the most dangerous pieces of equipment made is the rotary mower.

We always hook the bush hog next to a tree, then take the front in loader to flip it up against the tree and hold it with the tractor or tie a chain to the tree so it doesn't fall over on you.

I sharpen mine atleast 5 or 6 times a yr
if I am cutting brush I want them dull but if I am clipping pastures I want them sharp
I have even had to take a torch and re-bevel them if they were really bad then sharpened the edge
was alot easier and faster than trying to grind the bevel back into them

Angus Cowman":detnvbmn said:
if I am cutting brush I want them dull but if I am clipping pastures I want them sharp
I have even had to take a torch and re-bevel them if they were really bad then sharpened the edge
If you cut them with a torch you would lose the temper on the metal and make it soft. did you hardface em after cutting and regrinding?

MasseyFerg":eyltsjob said:
Angus Cowman":eyltsjob said:
If you cut them with a torch you would lose the temper on the metal and make it soft. did you hardface em after cutting and regrinding?
All of the blades I have ever seen are soft or else they would shatter when you hit something that is one of the reasons the edges will wear down and become blunt if they were tempered they would shatter when hitting something solid
like rocks
we have done it like this for yrs and have never had a problem

I haven't tried this yet but I'm gonna. My old Uncle told me that when the blades get sharpened until they can't be sharpened again cut the cutting edge back about 1 1/2" and weld on a piece of grader blade, the part that gets replaced. He tells me the metal is much tougher and the sharpness will last much longer.

Grader blades are real hard,I think the blade is going to break when it hits something hard. Then its going to be a bullet, that nobody knows where its going. I hope you have chains on the front and rear of the rotary mower.

lavacarancher":1k6igpkl said:
I haven't tried this yet but I'm gonna. My old Uncle told me that when the blades get sharpened until they can't be sharpened again cut the cutting edge back about 1 1/2" and weld on a piece of grader blade, the part that gets replaced. He tells me the metal is much tougher and the sharpness will last much longer.

you will spend more in time and welding rod than it would be worth
blades for my 15ft BH are only $25 each and I can change a set of them in 30 minutes
I will rebevel a blade with a torch but I would never weld anything on to one of them
Like was said earlier a grader blade is Hardened steel and will shatter that is a disaster waiting to happen

Latest posts