Bush Hog

Help Support CattleToday:

Animal Track Farm

Reaction score
I am needing to buy one. Local dealer has a Lowry for $625. Has anyone used this brand? Bush Hog Razorback brand runs $750. Also has a Kodiak for $750. It will be used on a 1715 Ford. Mainly to cut the grass on the side of the road and fence lines. Any suggestions? Thanks!!

The 2 main things to check are if it has shear pin (suckes) or a slip clutch (good). The other is the HP ratings for the gearbox.

Yep, the shear pin types suck. Be prepared to spend half your day driving to the hardware store to get more pins. I think???? mine is a bush hog and it has litirally mowed thousands of acres with no input except shear pins.
A flail mower is by far the way to go but they do cost a little more.

kenny thomas":gmufhkbh said:
How does the flail mower handle rocks?

Not good. If you've ever seen a flail mower, the blades are attached to a drum with a chain link that has a strap (made like a U) ran through the link and attached to the drum with a bolt through the ends of the strap. On some of the mowers the bolt only goes through one end of the strap, which will allow the strap to straighten out and lose the blade. On others where the bolt goes through both ends of the strap, it tends to hold longer but will shear the bolt off. They do not like tree limbs or rocks, but do one heck of a job shredding grass. I'm not fond of wading around in the snakes and chiggers picking up limbs so I don't use mine except in the wide open around the house. I use a bush hog in the pastures.

I appreciate the replies. I found a website for the Lowery cutter. They are built in Alabama. I think I will go look at the one the dealer has and compare it to others.

My bushhog is a Land Pride, with slip clutch. It is very heavy duty. I paid $1800. in 2004. I have used it to clear brush and small trees from my property. I have totally abused it and did'nt tare it up. If you look at all brands you'll notice the difference in construction. Inexpensive is not good.

When it comes to buying a rotary mower the heavier the better. Brown makes a real good 7' heavy duty rotary mower. Buying a light duty rotary mower is a poor investment. I have a Bush Hog model 12 that was built in the 50's that we still use.

I have 2 made by modern they are galvanized the six footer has 120 HP gear box with slip clutch . And the batwing has 250 HP main and 175 wing gear boxes . The six footer I've had for 5 years and it sits out side still looks new . They are made in beaumont Texas. Modern ag equipment.

I have a 6' Howse medium duty shredder. Has a 50HP gearbox. Built like a tank, tears up just about anything you can run over with it.

Ours is the heaviest-duty Bush Hog you can get, the model 406. Today they cost about 6k retail, but they go through nearly anything. We bought ours new in the early 80's for $1,800. Shear pins are useless for mowers. You want a slip clutch.

I'm having alot of trouble getting parts for Bush hog brand. Seems like every dealer I talk to says "We sell bush hog but we're not really a dealer"

I have an 12 foot International that is probably 25 years old. Deck is so heavy it does not have a dent in it and we do have plenty of rocks. Rebuilt two gearboxes this summer though.
I like the old sidewinder CB talks about also but have not seen one in a while.

Im still using my grandpas old sidewinder. A good used tire once in a while is all it ever needs. A shredder is one item you really get what you pay for. Ive seen some cheaper ones in the scrap pile after a few seasons.

B&M Farms":rposvlxi said:
Im still using my grandpas old sidewinder. A good used tire once in a while is all it ever needs. A shredder is one item you really get what you pay for. Ive seen some cheaper ones in the scrap pile after a few seasons.
I have owned a couple that I took the pto shaft off and scraped the rest after one season.

kenny thomas":2fzblha2 said:
B&M Farms":2fzblha2 said:
I have owned a couple that I took the pto shaft off and scraped the rest after one season.

My old Sidewinder is made out of plate steel my Rhino sheet metal.

if you buy a bushhog brand hope you do not have trouble with it ,because thier customer service and warranty department is lousy.they will tell you anything when you call them but after you hang up they will not do anything they said or call you back. i bought a2212 flex wing and that is my last purchase!

waflora":1ruqgm8n said:
if you buy a bushhog brand hope you do not have trouble with it ,because thier customer service and warranty department is lousy.they will tell you anything when you call them but after you hang up they will not do anything they said or call you back. i bought a2212 flex wing and that is my last purchase!
Unless you bought it directly from the manufacturer it sound more like a dealer problem to me.

Latest posts