Bush Hog

Help Support CattleToday:

kenny thomas

Reaction score
Anyone priced a rotory cutter (bush hog) lately? Any brand. I did not realize how high they had gotten until I priced one yesterday. A 10ft Land Pride was $7,900. I did not have the nerve to ask how much for a Bush Hog brand. Guess I am back to putting bearings in the 25 year old International brand.

I would hate to see what a batwing would cost! Anyway the 10 ft has to be parked and the 6ft used on some of these hills.
John how about swaping some of that flat land for some of these hills? :D There are more acres on hilly land than flat land when you are surveying but I would still swap even. :lol:

I too have been pricing 8 and 10 foot cutters. It didn't take me very long to start looking for a good used one. I really want a ten foot pull type because I am clipping hills and its just easier on the tractor, but all the good reasonably priced ones I have found have been three point. I have found a few that are just to far to drive and haul it back. I figure about the time I breakdown and buy something out of necessity, someone will have just what I've been looking for for sale, cheap. I've been pulling a 15 foot bat wing and there are more things that you can't do with it, than you can.

When my BushHog 3008 puked out one of the gear boxes I priced a replacment, 10K. Put a new gearbox in it for 800, that was a lot less then trying to rebuild the old one.

I bought a new BH 8ft pull type a couple yrs ago think I gave $6500 for it and a new 2715L is gonna run ya just a little under 12k now I priced one for a buddy of mine a couple months ago
My 2715L is about 4 yrs old and I gave a little over $10 for it but I know they took a price jump right after

im sure shredders have gone up alot over the years.i bought a mowhawk chief 10ft about 15yrs ago for $4500.then a few years ago i bought a new 6ft bushhog for $1800.i think i seen where the 10ft bushhogs was either $6000 or $8000 now.a friend bought a new JD batwing shredder for $15,000 last year.

kenny thomas":9f1ccg57 said:
I would hate to see what a batwing would cost! Anyway the 10 ft has to be parked and the 6ft used on some of these hills.
John how about swaping some of that flat land for some of these hills? :D There are more acres on hilly land than flat land when you are surveying but I would still swap even. :lol:

Kenny, sometimes I think I have spent most of my life mowing. In my high school years I mowed pasture with a MF 130 and a Dyna-Balance 72" mower.
So, consider this. A 15' mower is MORE than 3 times as fast as a 5' mower, mostly because you spend less time turning. A 10' mower will be more than twice fast as a 5', and that may do it.
I mowed 58 irregularly shaped acres today in 7 hrs with a 15' woods. It would sell for $1000 on a good day. I put corn head grease in the gearboxes. I grease the thing religously, and I get grease covered every time I do.
We're hills compared to corn belt. Flatlands compared to you. You need a lower tractor than mine. I have 38" tires on the rear and I ride about four feet off the ground. I've seen a little of the mountains and some of that stuff is seriously steep. You really ought to charge admission when you mow them.

john250":21fkr7zd said:
I mowed 58 irregularly shaped acres today in 7 hrs with a 15' woods. It would sell for $1000 on a good day.
A 15' piece of junk around here would sell for more then a grand.

John, we do not consider it steep until the 4x4 tractor slides away going downhill. Until then it is just rolling hills. :lol2:
I have one 10ft. mower and it sure does speed things up.

Angus Cowman":3puay5ht said:
kenny thomas":3puay5ht said:
John, we do not consider it steep until the 4x4 tractor slides away going downhill. Until then it is just rolling hills. :lol2:
:nod: :nod: :nod:
Yup, if you can get up it without going to your hands and kneews it's just a little slope.

bigbull338":2n7ab4j6 said:
im sure shredders have gone up alot over the years.i bought a mowhawk chief 10ft about 15yrs ago for $4500.then a few years ago i bought a new 6ft bushhog for $1800.i think i seen where the 10ft bushhogs was either $6000 or $8000 now.a friend bought a new JD batwing shredder for $15,000 last year.

I priced a Mohawk Stallion about three months ago. Pull type 8 foot with cylinder for $3850. This was a new shredder.

Angus Cowman":hf3ziik4 said:
kenny thomas":hf3ziik4 said:
:nod: :nod: :nod:

I'd be looking for low clearance models, I think. :D

Ahead of you John. The 4630 Ford that I hog the very steepest places with was ordered with 28" tires instead of 30" to lower the center of gravity. I know I would be better off planting trees on those areas but I hate to ever let open land grow up.
People pay good money for less thrills than sliding down these hills. Maybe I should put up a sign and charge for the experience.

I've got a 10 " hog, been pulling is with a 4020 JD. Some of my ground is wet, even now when we're nearly in a drought. I was stuck twice over the weekend, I get stuck in these fields every year. I am through! I need advice. I am about to go and buy a 4 wheel drive tractor, never had one, never wanted one, but I am tired of being stuck, is this going to fix my getting stuck problems, my hog requires a 55-85 drawbar hp. Would like to buy an older 4 wheel drive tractor ?? Any advice Will be heard and heeded. Thanks rcp

RCP":15xwxvpc said:
I've got a 10 " hog, been pulling is with a 4020 JD. Some of my ground is wet, even now when we're nearly in a drought. I was stuck twice over the weekend, I get stuck in these fields every year. I am through! I need advice. I am about to go and buy a 4 wheel drive tractor, never had one, never wanted one, but I am tired of being stuck, is this going to fix my getting stuck problems, my hog requires a 55-85 drawbar hp. Would like to buy an older 4 wheel drive tractor ?? Any advice Will be heard and heeded. Thanks rcp
A month or so ago there were a coupple of used JD 4wd tractors for sale in AR
http://www.tractordata.com/

http://www.equipmentlocator.com/asp/Els ... -en&ind=ag

http://www.machinefinder.com/

dun":257535bs said:
RCP":257535bs said:
A month or so ago there were a coupple of used JD 4wd tractors for sale in AR
http://www.tractordata.com/

http://www.equipmentlocator.com/asp/Els ... -en&ind=ag

http://www.machinefinder.com/

:lol: :lol: Be carefull....had that idea about 4x4 trucks till I bough and extended cab and no one around to pull me out. :lol: :lol: Bought a 4x4 and it was 4 years before it rained enought for me to need it... :frowns:

Latest posts