bush hog question

Help Support CattleToday:

kenojoe

Reaction score
I have a 7' bosh hog and hate the "brown stripes" it leaves a few days after cutting. I was wondering if anyone has ever cut the sides of their bush hog out so that the grass goes out the sides better and not pile up for the rear wheels to run over. I assume if one was to cut the sides out you would have to weld some reinforcement back. I clip mostly pasture and the brown stripes bug me to death. Does anyone have any thoughts on how to get around this?

I have a 307 (7') Bushhog cutter which has 2 wheels in the back. When I cut it seems like the bulk of the grass is thrown to the left and right sides of the deck, where it falls down and is run over by the wheels. My cutter has chains on the front and rear and you would think the grass would be evenly distributed and thrown all over. Maybe it is and the wheels just smash it down and that is what causes the brown stripes. This is an old problem and my neighbors make the same complaint, it just bugs me more I guess.

Centrifical force throws the clippings to the outside. If you cut the sides higher not only would it weaken the mower deck but it would also decrease the liftig affect of the baldes spinning and probably not cut as uniformly

Centrifical force throws the clippings to the outside. If you cut the sides higher not only would it weaken the mower deck but it would also decrease the liftig affect of the baldes spinning and probably not cut as uniformly

Dun's right. It'll also throw rocks and stuff. Prolly not to safe.

It will throw out the side but will not cut it up very well. Before disc mowers a few of the bush hogs had removable sides and you could use them to mow very heavy hay. Did not do a very good job of that either. It will green back up soon enough.

Thanks for the info. I know I would have to reinforce the cut outs. I try to clip my fields at 14" if I can get to it. I keep my blades sharp and set at 8 inches. I didn't think about the lifting created by the blades. I'm glad I asked before I got the torch and welder out. I suppose I will have to live with my stripes until I can afford a disc mower. Thanks Joe

A disc mower will make it worse. It will cut just once and lay it over. If it's thick and I'm trying to not leave much thatch I run the rpm's up.

Latest posts