Bush Hog for Mowing Hay

Help Support CattleToday:

killingtime

Reaction score
I just bought an older woods 6ft rotory mower. It's in pretty good shape and I got a great deal on it. My question is the left side panel can be un bolted which allows the mower to discharge to the side. The guy I bought it from said it was for mowing hay, but no one around here mows hay with a bush hog. Has any one ever heard of this and if so how good does a bush hog work for mowing hay? Call me curious but It just got me wondering.

I must have the same mower as you. I believe the way the manual shows is there is a special piece that fits on top of the blade to throw the hay out the side. I have never used mine for this as it seems you woul have to go really slow to get a decent cut.

I think it would mulch it up to much even if it was trowing it out the side.

The ones made to mow hay have a deeper deck usually, but I'd think you could do a halfway job of mowing hay with the side panel removed if you didn't have anything better to mow with.

years ago my neighbor cut the side out of his bush hog to cut hay,,,,so its been done... it looked like you cut it with a knife and fork though

I took the side of the hog off yesterday and tried it out just to see what it would do. It mowed alright but it did mulch up the grass quite a bit. Looked to me like it would definately work alright, but not nearly as good as a conditioner. But then again it wasn't nearly as expensive either.

killingtime":12c0bwim said:
I took the side of the hog off yesterday and tried it out just to see what it would do. It mowed alright but it did mulch up the grass quite a bit. Looked to me like it would definately work alright, but not nearly as good as a conditioner. But then again it wasn't nearly as expensive either.

I do not suppose you could throw a pic or two at us?

One of the machine set up and one of the grass would be nice

Cheers

Bez+

Sometimes you can find a little sickle bar cheap,that might do a better job.

I use my brush hog for hay. It wastes a lot. My hay needs are very little.

What happens is the tires run over the grass and mat it down. The other thing that happens is the blades spin the grass around and never actually cut it.

Yes sir, I have used a brush hog for mowing hay. And it was a Woods Cadet 84 as a matter of fact.

I cut hay grazer with the Woods mower. Should of used a crimper but I don't own one and couldn't find anybody who had the time to cut it. It did a fine job of cutting the stems where it would dry out properly before baling.

Latest posts