Bush Hog 105

Help Support CattleToday:

wizzak

Reaction score
Hey picked up a Bush Hog 105 5' rotary mower at a farm sale last weekend. I took care to clean, greese and check gear box oil. Worked great for a week. Yesterday blades stopped spinning. I opened gear box and there were teeth everywhere. I had ear plugs in so may not have noticed first signs of trouble. Both gears are done for 15 and 21 tooth. Question is what caused it, bad clutch? Frozen clutch? And what other damage should I look for while I have it apart. What kind of damage goes along with something like this? I was using a Ford 8000. I know this is a big tractor for a small bush hog but I need the small mower for small areas. Thank you for your time.

wizzak":1np8lj1g said:
Question is what caused it, bad clutch? Frozen clutch? And what other damage should I look for while I have it apart. What kind of damage goes along with something like this
If the slip clutch was froze up and you hit something,especially with a tractor that size,on that size gearbox,somethings gotta give. Make sure the shafts are straight,if they are seperate from the gears. Those bearings aren't that expensive-replace them,but do not buy them from Bush Hog. They are a standard bearing that you can buy over the counter-usually for half of Bush Hogs price or less. Make sure the crossbar and blades are OK. Take the clutch apart and get it working. That gearbox was sized for about 35-40 HP so you will have to be really careful. Good Luck Hope its not too bad.

Latest posts