Burying electric fence

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
I don't have anywhere that I rely on an electric fence. I have several places where a have a strand or two running in conjunction with barbed wire. At all the gates, I bury the wire. I've used several products over the years. Underground romex, and the stuff from TSC that's designed for that. Both have failed at some point. Infact I have one section shorted out now. I need to redo today, or tomorrow. Anybody got a better product to bury? I know I could go overhead, I just think it looks sloppy.

Where it has to cross under the gravel drive, I used the tsc insulated wire but ran it through small diameter pvc. Made sure to tack it to bottom of post where it goes in and back up on other side or cows feet catch it.

I thought about pvc. Should I glue some 90 degree elbows on the ends turned down to keep water out?

James T":w7upgcij said:
Where it has to cross under the gravel drive, I used the tsc insulated wire but ran it through small diameter pvc. Made sure to tack it to bottom of post where it goes in and back up on other side or cows feet catch it.

We do this also, and use the black heavy duty zip ties to tie it down in the corners. It stays that way, and we are not seeing damage on the older stuff we put in a few years ago, yet!

Bigfoot":3qw0utp4 said:
I thought about pvc. Should I glue some 90 degree elbows on the ends turned down to keep water out?
get the grey electrical conduit....or at least the 90 degree sweeps if you want to use 90's. Depending on how deep you bury it, 3/4 inch is flexible enough to lay in a shallow trench and have the ends above ground in about 3 ft. You can also heat the conduit with a propane torch and put a little more bend in it if you want.

Yes, use glue if you have a joint. You could caulk the ends to keep rain out also. I do have a line that has been in at least 10 years that has everyday electrical wire in. So far no problems.

I have also used black plastic water pipe for conduit.One of the charger mfgs. (Par-mak,I think) says to caulk the ends to keep out moisture.Rome cable is not built to withstand the voltage from electric fencers

I used the double insulated wire from Gallagher, buried it in pvc. The purpose of the pvc is to make it easy to replace the wire if it gets a short in it. With that in mind I would make it as easy as possible to tie the new wire on and pull through using the old wire. The more 90 you have in it the harder it will be to change. I would bend the pvc below ground and make a J above ground. Glue the ''J'' together except the one coupler that attaches it to the pvc running under ground. That way you can remove it and slide new wire through. :2cents:

BF are you talking about UF Cable ? Romex doesn't make anything suitable for direct burial usage to my knowledge. However, I do agree with conduit usage is good but I use UF cable its been in the ground for 10+ years in my buildings with electricity and they are running fine I just buried some a few weeks ago.

Thanks for the replies. If I had used pvc the first time, I wouldn't be digging a ditch tomorrow :shock:

I use the double insulated stuff from Gallagher and bury it in old garden hose.

gus2121":2mqsn7t0 said:
I used the double insulated wire from Gallagher, buried it in pvc. The purpose of the pvc is to make it easy to replace the wire if it gets a short in it. With that in mind I would make it as easy as possible to tie the new wire on and pull through using the old wire. The more 90 you have in it the harder it will be to change. I would bend the pvc below ground and make a J above ground. Glue the ''J'' together except the one coupler that attaches it to the pvc running under ground. That way you can remove it and slide new wire through. :2cents:

Use long sweep 90s and they pull fine. Hard 90s are next to impossible to pull through.

Learn something from yaw. Long sweep 90's. Didn't know there was such a thing, will get some.

Bigfoot":3lq2nhcq said:
Learn something from yaw. Long sweep 90's. Didn't know there was such a thing, will get some.
They'll be grey and in the electrical section of the store.

highgrit":1lhy3s25 said:
Bigfoot":1lhy3s25 said:
They'll be grey and in the electrical section of the store.
You can also make your own with pvc and boiling water. PVC can be manipulated when heated it will hold that shape until its reheated Then it will return to original shape

Job is done-----1/2" underground conduit, 90 degree sweeps, and ends filled full of silicone. Fence is hotter than a mink coat in July.

Latest posts