Burning

Help Support CattleToday:

Brute 23":3htqrgsh said:
Any down side to burning right now?

We are going to plant some Tifton in the spring and I am wanting to burn off the old grass before I disk.
About all it will affect is the winter type of plants. Won;t do anything to impede the future growth of cool season or warm season plants. Timing of burns can be used to modify the types of plants in an area.

What type of grass is there? If it is a dormant perenial then will need to wait until it starts growing again, spray with roundup to kill it out, then burn and plow to prepare for planting Tifton. Some risk of planting it too late and not having enough moisture and sprigs dying. Other way is to spray / kill grass in the fall, plant winter pasture then turn under in the spring and plant the Tifton.

We burned for the first time last year...If I recall correctly it was the last weekend in February when we lit the pasture...it was late April before it all came back. Lots of new weeds after the burn, but we did not disc...just mowed it, then put cows on it. Pasture looks really good this year with the exception of the sage grass...I hate that stuff, and no matter what I do, it seems to be spreading.

Thanks. There are some spots of native grass that are kind of thick and don't disk real well. Was wanting to burn the pasture instead of spending the time and money to shred it. Planning on disking it rough and then coming back before we plant to disk in some fert and smooth it off.

marksmu":3gl52jrx said:
We burned for the first time last year...If I recall correctly it was the last weekend in February when we lit the pasture...it was late April before it all came back. Lots of new weeds after the burn, but we did not disc...just mowed it, then put cows on it. Pasture looks really good this year with the exception of the sage grass...I hate that stuff, and no matter what I do, it seems to be spreading.
Has anyone had any luck using a weed wiper on the Sage Grass. I have been thinking of trying it. The sage is usually taller than the other grass and should work.

Brute 23":2u95hdnp said:
Any down side to burning right now?

We are going to plant some Tifton in the spring and I am wanting to burn off the old grass before I disk.

The only disadvantage to burning that I know of is that it gives weeds - especially cheat grass - the chance to germinate and establish themselves. Weeds can be controlled, but cheatgrass is a different sort of animal. It is hard to control.

Burning may help destroy some of the current seed but spraying Roundup on new growth, in the spring, seems to work better. Then a follow up with 2-4-D after planting.

Brute 23":3txug4v8 said:
Thanks,

I burned it a couple days ago. It disked alot better. We spray a weed killer every year so we don't have alot of weeds. Sure I stirred some up disking but we will get them again this year.
Be sure to spray with Diurex 4L right after sprigging (like within 3 days). It works as a pre-emergent herbicide on newly sprigged ground after you have disked and brought out every dormant weed seed that has been waiting on a chance to germinate.

hurleyjd":pf1e9fzp said:
marksmu":pf1e9fzp said:
Has anyone had any luck using a weed wiper on the Sage Grass. I have been thinking of trying it. The sage is usually taller than the other grass and should work.
I doubt it will be worth the time and trouble. Sage grass or broomsedge is very hard to get rid of. The best thing I have found is to keep it mowed. Cows will eat the new growth in the spring before it gets too tall. That way you will be getting some good from the stuff. BTW I have tried liming etc. I just haven't found a way to eliminate the stuff short of a lot of discing and working up the ground, which is impractical on hillsides because of the chance of erosion. So I have learned to live with it.

Latest posts