Burning manure pile

Help Support CattleToday:

dansangus

Reaction score
This is kind of a crazy question,but here goes-I have a area where I feed round bales in the winter. Loose hay mixes with manure and in the spring I push it in a mound to rot down.I work it up from time to time to help the process. I now have a pile that is a few years old that will not break down,more hay than manure. Since its in a open area,is there any way I could put a little diesel on it and burn it to eliminate some of the old hay? I'm sure it would smoulder for a few days,but it is in a contained area where this wouldn't be a problem. Any thoughts? Thanks Dan

Its almost garden season. Advertize composted manure for sale and it'll be gone in no time. I pile mine the same and use it in the garden every year. Great stuff.

I don't think it'll burn in a pile, not enough air.

Needs air in it to rot down. And moisture. Dig/push the pile into a new spot a few feet over and the exposure to air will restart the process. Otherwise the hay can last for decades in the pile. I have a manure mound beside the barn that has a solid layer of oat straw 3 feet down, from the last time oats were threshed in that spot in the 1950's.

Latest posts