burmuda's & backgrounding

Help Support CattleToday:

>CS, I have both grasses side by side only separated by an electric fence. To answer your question, it all depends on the age of the grass if it is being cut for hay or the age being grazed. Our Tif produces about 10-15% more hay; both fertilized the same. If irrigated and fertilized the Tif consistently produces more tonnage. Tif is a beautiful grass to watch grow, but "coastal" is overall hard to beat, especially during dryer conditions in Central Texas. One observation I have made about Tif is it is slower growing in the spring but once the weather warms up it will compete with coastal. Most years the Tif is about 2 weeks behind coastal. Cut at 21-25 days Tif has tested 16-18 percent protein. I think one has to say what the forage will be used for and likewise do you want quality or more quanity with a little less protein.

Two part question: Is there a
> great protien difference in
> Coastal Burm. & Tifton
> Burm.(hybrid)? What exactly is
> "backgrounding"? thanks

[email protected]

Good answer on the grass part. Backgrounding is putting calves that have just been weaned on a growing program. It's a middle stage between being in the pasture with their mothers and being on rations in a feedlot. Calves are grouped for uniformity and put on good pasture (often oats) to gain up to a certain point. They are then sold direct to the feedyard if they weren't already on contract.

Craig-TX

> Good answer on the grass part.
> Backgrounding is putting calves
> that have just been weaned on a
> growing program. It's a middle
> stage between being in the pasture
> with their mothers and being on
> rations in a feedlot. Calves are
> grouped for uniformity and put on
> good pasture (often oats) to gain
> up to a certain point. They are
> then sold direct to the feedyard