Burial

Help Support CattleToday:

Everyone has different feelings about things. I don't have any issue with cremation, but I can't imagine wanting to keep ashes from a loved one (or a dog).

I plan to be buried, and have told my children to get a wood casket instead of steel, but it doesn't really matter. I don't think I'll care at that point.

I'll go to visitations at the funeral home where the casket is open, or go to the funeral itself where the casket is open before the service starts, but I have no need or desire to see the deceased. It doesn't bother me; I just don't see the point. Again, if it helps other people I'm fine with it, it just isn't for me.

Everyone has different feelings about things. I don't have any issue with cremation, but I can't imagine wanting to keep ashes from a loved one (or a dog).

I plan to be buried, and have told my children to get a wood casket instead of steel, but it doesn't really matter. I don't think I'll care at that point.

I'll go to visitations at the funeral home where the casket is open, or go to the funeral itself where the casket is open before the service starts, but I have no need or desire to see the deceased. It doesn't bother me; I just don't see the point. Again, if it helps other people I'm fine with it, it just isn't for me.

Funerals are awkward....

I always share stories about the person if it's somebody I was close too. Most likely I have a hard time being serious cause you can bet I'll remember some silly story.

Another things I'd rather purchase a tree than flowers. That's just me. 🤷🏽‍♀️

his all being said it maybe the cheapest and the easiest to go with cremation. Yet you may want to think about how your family and friends may have closure with that. Some maybe find with the spreading of ashes and some may need to see a body.
Both can be done and it is often done. A memorial service is held so family and friends can 'say goodbye', with the body and (rented) open coffin in view but after the public service, the body (minus the coffin) is sent to a cremation facility.
(the cremation process I am familiar with (barely) involves the body being rolled into the burner area in a cardboard coffin.. basically a cardboard box with a non flammable bottom to catch the ashes..)

I worked with a guy who had once been a cropduster. So, he had a pilot's license. His friend died and the widow wanted to scatter his ashes over the Augusta National Golf Club where the Masters is held. They discovered that the exclusive golf club does not allow that. They came up with an alternate plan. He borrowed or rented a small plane with the intent to fly over and dump the ashes. Hoping that some of them would settle on the course. All was going well until they opened the window to dump the ashes out of the bag. Then they had a plane full of ashes. He said they had a heck of a time trying to clean the plane. They decided that they had done their best and hoped that some of the ashes hit the target.

My granddaughters have so far cremated 2 dogs, a MF cat and a ^%&$#%^ rabbit, and kept the ashes!
I'm just glad they make a lot more $ than me.

Read the book Chop shop by Kathy Braidhill

I've even read this happening on the news at crematory.

I recently went with a good friend to have her chihuahua cremated. Cost $150 the dog was about 3 pounds give or take. Everybody is different to what they want and how they grief. We always just dug a hole in the ground for our deceased pets. I guess people that live in town may do things differently. I thought to have a dog cremated was a little strange myself. My friends friend was like yea that way if you ever move you can still keep the ashes. My other friend told me yes I have all my dead dogs ashes in tiny little boxes. Strange to me but whatever works for others.

My cousin husband committed suicide. He locked himself inside his garage with his truck nobody found him afterwards for 4-5. He had to be cremated.

Same thing with my Grandmother she passed away at her house, her friend found her days later. This Grandmother didn't live close. She had to be cremated as well.

After going to both an open casket funeral seeing a body and somebody that was cremated. I personally feel it's easier seeing a body to except the person is gone. Even my cousin has told me it was hard on her not seeing her husband body. Like he was playing a sick joke. You had to known the guy he was a jokester.

When I was in high school my best friend committed suicide. 3 weeks before that my dad had died in a car wreck. My other friends parents was supposed to take us to our friends funeral. At the last minute her parents decided we didn't need to go they thought they were protecting us by not taking us to the funeral. My friend had just recently moved about an hour away. I guess back than an hour drive was really far. I didn't get to go to her funeral. For years it bother me not getting that closure. I wasn't sure were she was even buried. After many years one of my other friend and I drove over there looked at all these cemeteries never found her grave. I ended up calling the funeral home and found out were she was buried. The funeral director remembered her and exact where she was buried. He said he remembered how horrible that was being a young girl they didn't get many. They had buried her on somebody family farm. When I finally got to see her grave and realized it was reality it was extremely hard on me. Not that I didn't believe it but yet a little part of me wanted to not believe cause I never had that closure.

This all being said it maybe the cheapest and the easiest to go with cremation. Yet you may want to think about how your family and friends may have closure with that. Some maybe find with the spreading of ashes and some may need to see a body.

I have a friend who's daughter died. She hated dirt so they didn't want to put her in the ground. They talked about a mossulem than decided she would get cold. What they did was open casket funeral than cremation her. My friend build a shadow box, they had molding of her hands made, put the ashes in there along with some other stuff. It's beautiful. The main thing is whatever works for you and your family.

One of our childhood neighbors died recently. She bought a casket from the Amish for $800. I didn't go to the funeral but everybody said it was just beautiful. Everybody couldn't believe how beautiful it was and only $800.

Really in the end it doesn't matter as long as you get the job done. 😉🤷🏽‍♀️
Coming from an Italian community having an open casket service is the way they do it. Many i know need to see the body to say goodbye, it gives them closure. Not me, no way. I avoid it as best i can. I had a bad run when in a short space of time three young people in my life lost their lives in a short space of time. My brothers best friend, nicest guy in the world, hung himself. His neck was all pushed up, i wish i had just remember him as he was. Then a mate drowned and washed up on a beach 6km away. He was battered pretty bad and it broke my heart. Then our neighbour was killed in a car accident, couple of years older than me and a beautiful girl. I was determined to not view her but the damned italians got a one way train of people going and i got stuck in it. I wish i could have just remembered her as the beautiful laughing girl she was. Now i sit right at the back and leave just before everyone else. I do not want my body displayed, they can just stick a photo of me on the coffin.

If the Lord tarries His coming it's one appointment we won't miss and one that may come sooner then later. I'm not concerned with being buried or cremated because I won't be there, that will be more for my family.

You know, after reading what options a person has to choose from as to how they want to be laid to rest.

Dieing doesn't sound real appealing to me. Think I am going to pass on it.

Friend of mine died a few days ago. Another friend and I was discussing different methods of Burial.

He told me he was going to be laid to rest in a mossulem. Said his wife didn't want to be burried in cold damp ground. When he told me how much it cost for him and her to be burried in a mossulem I about fail over.

I told him there is noway I was paying that much to be burried. He says " Well it's only money and you can't take it with you ! "

I told him I have heard line before and I am taking every last penny with me when i go ! Explained to him even though I have been a pretty good boy all and all. I might need a little cash to bribe my way into the pearly gates !!!

He told me he had that mossulem trucked all the way from Mississippi because in Mississippi and other states have laws that prohibit burrying people below ground ? I have never heard such. Said he was able to buy it cheaper because mossulem's were so common in Mississippi ? Anybody ever hear anything like that before ?

I Googled it on the net and couldn't find anything about mossulem and people being burried above ground.

All that I did find was kind of depressing and made me decide to pass altogether on dieing.

Couldn't beleave how quick a body decompose's after being embalmed, and burried.

At the best for instance Queen Dianna was burried in a led lined coffin and a body pretty much has decomposed entirely by then and using a led lined coffin is one of the longest lasting methods. Said her coffin weighed like a quarter of a ton itself.
Lived in MS 77 years, as far as I know five generations of family are six feet under. mossulems are common here on the coast due to the high water table. After hurricane katrina many bodied floated out of the grave. Post Katrina was very trying to say the least. I will be creamated with ashes scattered on family plot. I don't like the thought of being stuffed like a deer and put on display. I remember my Paw Paw in the casket and comments of how good he looked. To me, he looked terrible and very dead.

Lived in MS 77 years, as far as I know five generations of family are six feet under. mossulems are common here on the coast due to the high water table. After hurricane katrina many bodied floated out of the grave. Post Katrina was very trying to say the least. I will be creamated with ashes scattered on family plot. I don't like the thought of being stuffed like a deer and put on display. I remember my Paw Paw in the casket and comments of how good he looked. To me, he looked terrible and very dead.
If you lived in Mississippi 77 years you lived through enough heat to be cremated several times over already..that's why people talk so slow there..they have to rest between words..

When my Mother's step dad past the grandmother wanted the grandsons to be pall bearers. Open casket and old Archie looked terrible and very dead. We had to stand up front by the casket. The preacher took it on himself to spend half an hour preaching hell fire and brimstone. Not a good experience.

I will be cremated and the ashes buried at the cemetery. With a head stone that stands up. Not one of those flat ones that the guy on his riding lawn mower goes right over. I have been getting in people's way all my life and I plan to continue doing that after I am gone.

Back of the head stone will say;

People die
but love doesn't
So when all that is left of me is love
Give that away

Worked with a guy that once worked for a funeral home I guess as some kind of helper.

He would pick up body's from the morge and I guess help the guy prepare the body's for burial.

He was telling about this black guy he had picked up from the morge. Said he thought the guy might have been a basket ball player and was over 7 foot tall.

Said they didn't have a coffin big enough that the guy would fit in because he was do tall.

I ask him if they had to order a special made coffin for tall people. He said no we had to break his legs and fold them over do that he would fit ???

I said your kidding right ? He swore up and down thats what they done !!!

Worked with a guy that once worked for a funeral home I guess as some kind of helper.

He would pick up body's from the morge and I guess help the guy prepare the body's for burial.

He was telling about this black guy he had picked up from the morge. Said he thought the guy might have been a basket ball player and was over 7 foot tall.

Said they didn't have a coffin big enough that the guy would fit in because he was do tall.

I ask him if they had to order a special made coffin for tall people. He said no we had to break his legs and fold them over do that he would fit ???

I said your kidding right ? He swore up and down thats what they done !!!

Oh no he wasn't kidding. They do all kind of things to prepare a body for a funeral. I'll leave it at that if anybody like to learn more I'm sure Google could tell you.

To each their own. 🤷🏽‍♀️Nothing to me sounds great about burning a loved one. That's just weird and creepy to me. Yet so is burying a person after doing all this stuff to their body, putting them in a coffin, than that other thing the coffin goes in to keep the ground from caving in.... image all the land that's cemeteries. So one day when all the land is all build full of concrete building, houses ect. few trees and Forrest left will they take over the cemeteries?! Will they bury people over people or build over top the cemeteries? May sound odd yet look at all the cemeteries. Look at all the people coming in the country.

And your right remembering the person as who they were not as the person in the coffin. The person in the coffin is never the same. Funeral are awkward...

This year I went to two funerals. Both very strange the people had their one pointer finger pointing up. 🤷🏽‍♀️ 👆🏽 Not sure why or how both ended up like that very strange. At the same time I laughed cause it was so weird. 🤷🏽‍♀️ Not at the funeral of course. One was my best friends mother. She was so ticked about her mother's finger sticking up. When I called to tell her I'd went to another funeral in a totally different county same thing happened the lady had her finger sticking up I did laugh cause it was weird.

Coming from an Italian community having an open casket service is the way they do it. Many i know need to see the body to say goodbye, it gives them closure. Not me, no way. I avoid it as best i can. I had a bad run when in a short space of time three young people in my life lost their lives in a short space of time. My brothers best friend, nicest guy in the world, hung himself. His neck was all pushed up, i wish i had just remember him as he was. Then a mate drowned and washed up on a beach 6km away. He was battered pretty bad and it broke my heart. Then our neighbour was killed in a car accident, couple of years older than me and a beautiful girl. I was determined to not view her but the damned italians got a one way train of people going and i got stuck in it. I wish i could have just remembered her as the beautiful laughing girl she was. Now i sit right at the back and leave just before everyone else. I do not want my body displayed, they can just stick a photo of me on the coffin.

I agree that would be horrible. Them imagine never leave your mind either. 😓 All of which were horrible tragedy and unexpected, I'm sure didn't help.

Not to change the subject I couldn't imagine being a police officer, an ER doctor, nurse, EMT, fireman, seeing some of the things they see. Being 9-11 I still read stories about 9-11 I just couldn't imagine the trauma and life long impact that had on people's lives. From being at ground zero, to the loss of love ones, to the babies and young children that never met their families that died, to the dusk that cause people to died afterwards, to all the rescue people seeing what they saw. Here we are talking about funerals this people I'm sure saw some bad things along with our military.

I agree that would be horrible. Them imagine never leave your mind either. 😓 All of which were horrible tragedy and unexpected, I'm sure didn't help.

Not to change the subject I couldn't imagine being a police officer, an ER doctor, nurse, EMT, fireman, seeing some of the things they see. Being 9-11 I still read stories about 9-11 I just couldn't imagine the trauma and life long impact that had on people's lives. From being at ground zero, to the loss of love ones, to the babies and young children that never met their families that died, to the dusk that cause people to died afterwards, to all the rescue people seeing what they saw. Here we are talking about funerals this people I'm sure saw some bad things along with our military.

Latest posts