Bumps on my calf's jaw

Help Support CattleToday:

BigGunter

Reaction score
Today going out to do chores i noticed that my month(give or take a few days) developed some sort of bumps on its lower jaw. The bumps are semi-hard and don't move and just appeared in the past day. The bumps are under the skin and appear to be on the lower Jaw. What could they be?

BigGunter":bcgxwe95 said:
Today going out to do chores i noticed that my month(give or take a few days) developed some sort of bumps on its lower jaw. The bumps are semi-hard and don't move and just appeared in the past day. The bumps are under the skin and appear to be on the lower Jaw. What could they be?

I have bought a couple of calves in the last few months that had knots on their jaw. From the outside the knot was very firm. While waiting for the wife to bring a halter to better secure head, I stuck my finger inside the calfs mouth between the jawbone and cheek to palpate the knot from the inside. Was I pleasantly surprised to feel a big ol' wad of grass. One calf never had the knot again, the other one it has reappeared in a few days. Need to clean her out again.

I would suggest checking from the inside and if not grass/feed etc, could be some sort of abscess. if you can draw liquid from the knot with a hypodermic, then lance it, milk out the fluid and flush with hydrogen peroxide. flush 2-3 more times every other day or two. Also look for a foreign object (splinter, thorn). This could be the cause. A shot of pennicillin or LA 200 could be helpful for any infection.

Don't know if this fits your situation but maybe a starting point.

Merry Christmas and best regards to all.

Could be any number of things. Ant bites? bee? reaching through barb wire fence wounds? sticky weeds stuck in fur? and hopefully not any type of disease of which I have no idea...

As Texas said, its likely an absess of some kind, but I'd keep the calf(ves) separated as it could also be lump jaw, and you don't want that spreading through the herd.

Rod

Latest posts