Bumper pull or gooseneck flatbed?

Help Support CattleToday:

Don't even entertain using an equalizer on a bumper pull for farm work. You'll catch it on everything and they are a PITA to deal with the bars and stuff every time you hook up. I run one on the camper trailer and I can't wait to get back into a 5th wheel RV. Bumper pull stuff just sucks.

If you are going to pull hay in and out of pastures, I wouldn't go with a 5th wheel either. Motion is limited and stated above. Just get a gooseneck and be done. They are the by far the most versatile and as mentioned, more forgiving when load improperly.

You want around 10-14% of your total weigh on the ball. Case-in-point can be shown here. Trailer loading for dummies video. If you don't, you'll end up like the picture above of the neck wrapped around the truck.

Granted, the trailer setup in the video has the axle moved more forward than your farm trailer will be, but, it shows the amplification of the whip really well.

(2) Towing a trailer can be dangerous with the wrong weight distribution - YouTube

Something I did when I bought my trailer was to perform a static equation on it to see how loading it with hay would turn out. By adding in the weight of the bales, I can see how it changes my pin loading and axle weights.

Attachments

• Hay Calc..JPG
    Hay Calc..JPG
    145.9 KB · Views: 8
If you don't, you'll end up like the picture above of the neck wrapped around the truck.

Funny how guys assume that was from improper loading. Trailer and that picture was loaded properly as per the DOT investigation. It fell under the accident catagory when somebody pulls boardside in front of you at 55mph.

As for weight bars catching on stuff I have hauled that tilt deck in and out of hundreds of fields, logging roads, barn yards, etc and never had any trouble with the WD hitch catching on stuff. Guess I'm just that lucky.

I'm late to the party here but I agree with nearly everyone's comments regarding a goose vs BP. I've used BP trailers for years and just bought a 20+5 goose this summer and it's a game changer for sure. I use mine mainly to haul hay and move equipment. Your also seeing the market for them is high. New are not much more than used. I looked for 2 years before I found one that was a "good deal". There's a lot of things I love about my gooseneck but honestly the best parts is entry steps on both sides as well as pin up ramps to make a backstop. I will never go back to a bumper pull!

I'm late to the party here but I agree with nearly everyone's comments regarding a goose vs BP. I've used BP trailers for years and just bought a 20+5 goose this summer and it's a game changer for sure. I use mine mainly to haul hay and move equipment. Your also seeing the market for them is high. New are not much more than used. I looked for 2 years before I found one that was a "good deal". There's a lot of things I love about my gooseneck but honestly the best parts is entry steps on both sides as well as pin up ramps to make a backstop. I will never go back to a bumper pull!
What brand trailer did you buy? I saw one sell in a auction Saturday for $3600 range, needed probably a $1000 worth of work. So I would have had at least $4600 in the trailer, seen a new Lawrimore for $6000. Not sure how good they are though but for my use it would probably be ok.

Funny how guys assume that was from improper loading. Trailer and that picture was loaded properly as per the DOT investigation. It fell under the accident catagory when somebody pulls boardside in front of you at 55mph.

As for weight bars catching on stuff I have hauled that tilt deck in and out of hundreds of fields, logging roads, barn yards, etc and never had any trouble with the WD hitch catching on stuff. Guess I'm just that lucky.
To be clear, I didn't assume that you jack-knifed your trailer due to improper loading, I simply made the comment that if you improperly load it, and it starts whipping, it can end up just like your picture....in not so many words, maybe I should have been more clear. ;) Most of them folded up like that I've seen are due to braking or slowing while going down hill loaded on dirt/gravel roads. The trailer starts to push, the truck can't do a dang thing about it. My trucks have always had training wheels and that's the biggest reason, not that it is the fix all, but it sure helps in those situations.

As far as BP trailers go....I guess it would depend more on the terrain. Around my buddies fields in Indiana which are flat as a dayum table, sure. Around Logan Co, OK....you'll get in a bind so fast your head will spin. LOL

OP, the masses have spoken. Graduate to a GN or stay BP. There's a hundred pro and cons to each. First, decide your budget. The rest is all how much convenience you want.

What brand trailer did you buy? I saw one sell in a auction Saturday for $3600 range, needed probably a $1000 worth of work. So I would have had at least $4600 in the trailer, seen a new Lawrimore for $6000. Not sure how good they are though but for my use it would probably be ok.
Sorry for the delayed response. I bought a Gatormade. It's a 20+5 w/mega ramps. Previous owner bought it new, always kept in shed, completely rewired the trailer and put new tires on it. Trailer was 3 years old and all he ever hauled was plastic lawn furniture. No lie. The re-wire and new tires was a big deal cause, as many will tell you, the quality of paint, electrical, and tires on new trailers is severely lacking these days. Anyways I paid $5500 for it and felt it was worth more than new because of the new wiring and tires. The only thing I can tell you is just keep an eye out for one all the time. There are deals out there on them but you have to keep one eye open. I found mine on FB marketplace and just happened to catch it on a Friday morning. 2 hours later it was mine. If you can find one that works for you new for $6k, I would jump on it. Just keep an eye on the wiring, tires, and paint lol

Latest posts