Bummer of a leg...

Help Support CattleToday:

Dusty Britches

Reaction score
I noticed one of my 300 pound heifer calves limping badly. What concerned me was not that she wouldn't put weight on it - it was the fact that she would not pick it up.

I took her to the vet. Broken femur and possible broken hip, but he's like me - no point in doing x-rays. Nothing can be done. He smiled and said, "freezer beef, don't take her to the sale barn or you will be laughed out of the ring." Guess we know now which one we will hold back for feeding. ;)

Within a few days, I noticed she is getting along pretty good on 3 legs. The heat is miserable on her though.

Dusty Britches":2msxae7h said:
I noticed one of my 300 pound heifer calves limping badly. What concerned me was not that she wouldn't put weight on it - it was the fact that she would not pick it up.

I took her to the vet. Broken femur and possible broken hip, but he's like me - no point in doing x-rays. Nothing can be done. He smiled and said, "freezer beef, don't take her to the sale barn or you will be laughed out of the ring." Guess we know now which one we will hold back for feeding. ;)

Within a few days, I noticed she is getting along pretty good on 3 legs. The heat is miserable on her though.
i think id wean her early.and or put her an her mom in the corral.so you could feed an watch after her.this heat may not be to good for her.

We had a 2 day old calf that came up with a broke front shoulder.( neighbors dogs we think). He couldn't put weight on it or pick it up either. he was getting around and eating good. Out of one of our best cows. In a few weeks we noticed him starting to use it a little. And now he is about 500lbs and you can't even tell it. He healed up great. We were sure he would be our beef for the winter, but now he is one of the best looking calves we have out there. We had thought about putting him down but he got along ok and now glad we didn't.

bigbull338":26ob4n9d said:
i think id wean her early.and or put her an her mom in the corral.so you could feed an watch after her.this heat may not be to good for her.

I asked the vet about that, too, but he said she is best in the pasture. There is more shade and stock tanks that she can walk into to cool off in the pasture. He also said that she will eventually start to use it, but she will always limp badly.

He's funny - my vet. He raises herefords and comes from a family of cattlemen and his dad is a vet in Hereford, TX. So, he gives me his professional opinion, then I have to ask - if it was yours, what would you do. Then I get his other professional opinion, which is close to the first, only less work. :D

Dusty Britches":3eiyo4me said:
bigbull338":3eiyo4me said:

I asked the vet about that, too, but he said she is best in the pasture. There is more shade and stock tanks that she can walk into to cool off in the pasture. He also said that she will eventually start to use it, but she will always limp badly.

He's funny - my vet. He raises herefords and comes from a family of cattlemen and his dad is a vet in Hereford, TX. So, he gives me his professional opinion, then I have to ask - if it was yours, what would you do. Then I get his other professional opinion, which is close to the first, only less work. :D
since your going to leave her on pasture.id check her everyday to make sure she isnt stuck in the pool.

TNM... I am in no way dissing you but $11000 dollar bull?
$5500.00 7 mo old calf? and
$10 000 show animals(plural), on the same farm? got gold going through through the veins of those animals?
Boy I thought $3000.00 was alot for a bull.
If ya got insurance, should pay out.

We've got the 2002 Denver Simmental calf champion bull in our freezer right now. It happens... always the expensive ones too.