Bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

CopeMan

Reaction score
Does or has anybody ever used a Brangus x Hereford black baldie (Super Baldie)herd bull before?

CopeMan":1mcevo8b said:
Does or has anybody ever used a Brangus x Hereford black baldie (Super Baldie)herd bull before?
Somebody about 5 miles from me is using a black-baldie bull, but I don't know if he is crossed with Angus or Brangus. Haven't really looked at him that close.

Im not talking about getting one. You just dont see to many mature black and white face bulls being used as a herd sire. I just wanted to see if anybody did have one. I have seen two brockle faced bulls before at a local Rodeo Co. I think it would be awesome to see a Brockle faced, Brangus Baldie Herd Bull, man that would be a gorgeous bull. And anyway what kind of cows would a black and white face bull be good on in some of your alls opinion. I would have to say Charolais, how about you?

we've had several inquiries for baldie bulls. in fact, i had an e-mail just last week with someone looking for one. unfortunately for him, i had to tell him that we band all of our crossbred calves at birth.

we've had several inquiries for baldie bulls. in fact, i had an e-mail just last week with someone looking for one. unfortunately for him, i had to tell him that we band all of our crossbred calves at birth.

Thats why we DON'T band ours at birth. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

txshowmom":acla7a16 said:

Thats why we DON'T band ours at birth. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

& that's why we do. personally, i don't think crossbred's make good herd bulls......not enough consistency.

[quote
personally, i don't think crossbred's make good herd bulls......not enough consistency.[/quote]
Not even Brangus?

ollie":s43f5z0z said:
personally, i don't think crossbred's make good herd bulls......not enough consistency.
Not even Brangus?

Brangus can hardly be considered crossbreds. When a breed combination has been bred back to itself long enough they're in the same ballpark as any other stable breeding population.

dun

dun":2hso5gnb said:
ollie":2hso5gnb said:
personally, i don't think crossbred's make good herd bulls......not enough consistency.
Not even Brangus?

Brangus can hardly be considered crossbreds. When a breed combination has been bred back to itself long enough they're in the same ballpark as any other stable breeding population.

dun
I agree .. would you use a 1B red angus?

ollie":3tptp0gs said:
dun":3tptp0gs said:
ollie":3tptp0gs said:
Not even Brangus?

dun
I agree .. would you use a 1B red angus?

Depends on the bull, but I don't see why not. We have several 1B cows and their calves are just as consistant year after year as the 1A cows. If you remember back to my long time back "got milk post", that cow is 1B. Horned Hereford 5-6 generations back. As a heifer and as a cow she has given us some very good consitant calves. The key to me is the consistancy. Her first 2 calves have also generated a premium. The first for being in the top slaughter pen for the month at Excel, the other when we retained 25% ownership and after all the fees and costs were paid out, we got more for our 25% then we had for the original 75%. Part of that was the normal market, but part of it was a high choice yg2 with a high feed efficiency. Last years calf we sold outright to the feedlot so no premium for him. I wish I had a dozen just like her, and of course, she's never given us a heifer.

dun

cherokeeruby":1gvn0cek said:
What is a 1B red angus?

1A is pure Angus, if I remember correctly that's what some breed organizations call fullblood, 1B are I think what some organizations call pureblood, they have something else back a ways but must be at least 87% (I'm pretty sure about the percentage) Angus and have no disqualifying features. Could be a Jersey 10 generations ago but it's still a 1B.

dun

dun":o42zy4hn said:
ollie":o42zy4hn said:
Not even Brangus?

dun

There are still folks producing 1st generation brangus, balancers,braford and every other cross-bred breed.
As a matter a fact some folks prefer the 1st or 2nd cross rather than the generations old blood.
I think you can consider most crossbred breeds, crossbreeds
JMHO

Hillbilly

Latest posts