bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

> I thinking of getting a young
> bull, Is a limousin a good choice? That all depends what kind of cattle you are using him on .I have a friend who has a nice limousin bull ,has a mixed herd of cows, some being angus which he has had calving problems with , he has had some 120lb calves and lost 2 cows this summer. whatever bull you decide on check the epd's and look for calving ease and lower birth weight . I like simmental

[email protected]

> I thinking of getting a young
> bull, Is a limousin a good choice?

Everyone on this board will have their own preference,but if you take everything into consideration,disposition,birth weight,birthing ease,growth weight, etc,my personal choice would be Murray Grey.

[email protected]

I have crossbreds cows, they are bred back to a Santa Gertrudis right now. I was just wondering about different breds. I like red better than black, I even thought about red brangus. Any suggestions will help.

[email protected]

try a hereford, or even better, polled hereford so you don't have to dehorn the calves.

> I have crossbreds cows, they are
> bred back to a Santa Gertrudis
> right now. I was just wondering
> about different breds. I like red
> better than black, I even thought
> about red brangus. Any suggestions
> will help.

If you choose Red Brangus (which would be my choice) use bulls registered in the International Red Brangus Assoc. because they are true 3/8 Brahman and 5/8 Angus. Others are anything from half bloods and up.

[email protected]

Put polled Hereford bulls on my cross bred cows, sold 691lb calves and topped the sale. I would buy Northern bred herefords though southern bred cattle seem to be inferior as a whole. I went down to a ranch and looked at some herfords in Oklahoma, the guy showed me his two year old bulls, they weighed about 1200 lbs, he was proud as hell of them but in Nebraska our two's weigh 1700lbs, the performance is not there, there are a few exceptions but southern people don't know how to raise good quality cattle. This should get interesting.

[email protected]

Different requirements dictate different cattle. The huge cattle, or what we in this area consider huge, won't work. Forage quality and quantity dictate a smaller animal. Mature cows of around 1100 lbs max and preferably 1000 really do well, and still wean 550-650 lb calves with no supplement. Seems like that works pretty well. Even in northern MO they seem to like bigger cattle. Typically we don't require the large cattle for winter heat retention and smaller cattle shed the summer heat better. Most cattle are outwintered. The only protection from the weather is maybe a tree to stand under or a hill or hollow to get behind or in.

dun

> Put polled Hereford bulls on my
> cross bred cows, sold 691lb calves
> and topped the sale. I would buy
> Northern bred herefords though
> southern bred cattle seem to be
> inferior as a whole. I went down
> to a ranch and looked at some
> herfords in Oklahoma, the guy
> showed me his two year old bulls,
> they weighed about 1200 lbs, he
> was proud as hell of them but in
> Nebraska our two's weigh 1700lbs,
> the performance is not there,
> there are a few exceptions but
> southern people don't know how to
> raise good quality cattle. This
> should get interesting.

maybe you visited the wrong ranch. i know you've mention S&S before & they do have good cattle (in fact we've a.i.'d to some of their bulls before), but i think there are some southern polled hereford breeders who have cattle that are just as good.

> Different requirements dictate
> different cattle. The huge cattle,
> or what we in this area consider
> huge, won't work. Forage quality
> and quantity dictate a smaller
> animal. Mature cows of around 1100
> lbs max and preferably 1000 really
> do well, and still wean 550-650 lb
> calves with no supplement. Seems
> like that works pretty well. Even
> in northern MO they seem to like
> bigger cattle. Typically we don't
> require the large cattle for
> winter heat retention and smaller
> cattle shed the summer heat
> better. Most cattle are
> outwintered. The only protection
> from the weather is maybe a tree
> to stand under or a hill or hollow
> to get behind or in.

> dun

Well said. I never want any cows over 1,150 pounds and, like you, prefer them to be even a bit smaller. The North/South cattle size difference is also a prime example of the biological principle known as Bergman's Law. Also, I suspect that it is safe to assume that Blackpower's experience is based on a very limited sample size. But then I guess he could be right, and perhaps it is just a miracle that any of us in the lower regions of the U. S. can ever make a dollar or two in the cattle business (ggg).

> Put polled Hereford bulls on my

Sigh.....BP Guess you think they have to be black as well as big....Well said Dun.

[email protected]

Ok, I will be laughing all day over the southern slam there at the end. I'm in NY, so..... But seriously Dun is right. Different places, environments dictate different traits. A sign that the "right answer" may be different for different people. Hence the great advantage of this board. Thanks for the laugh and I hope it was taken by all in good fun.

Rick

Put polled Hereford bulls on my

[email protected]

I've been waiting from someone with your experience to bring up the topic of small cows because I have questions -

I also live in SW Mo and try to keep cow size down due to forage concerns. [I have Hereford and Hereford/Angus cross.] I know you probably focus on grade in the calves you sell, but coming from small cows, how well do calves do in the yield dept. at slaughter compared to other Angus or Herefords? Do you compensate for small genetics of cow with a high-growth bull?

I'm assuming you kept cows small by selecting breeding stock with smaller genetics. If so, how do you find them this small? Are they crossbreeds or pure? The cows I have that are ~10-years old are from small old-line Hereford (plus a little Jersey from way back) and weight 1200# or less. I've kept many heifers from these good-old cows (using low-BW Angus bulls), but I think due to better genetics in the bull, or hybrid-vigor, their calves are turning out to be 1400+ lb cows. [Sold a few last week so I know the weights.] Then I have bought several that were going thru the Show-me heifer replacement program, and they have grown to >1500#. I'm guessing on these, but they look huge compared to old cows! The big cows wean the same size calf, but seem to eat twice as much. But I've wondered if calves from these bigger cows are likely to have better yield at slaughter.

How does feeding of the heifers affect the final cow size? The show-me heifers I bought were mostly angus, but were big when I bought them. The seller said they were on "supplement" so I wonder if this grew them out. Now it seems that it is costing a lot in hay to sustain their size. They don't keep condition in winter as well either.

Then how does age of breeding affect final cow size? On the heifers I keep from old-cows, I've been waiting till 18-months to breed. I knew I was losing income by keeping them open longer, but I wonder if it's costing me in the long-run because it makes for a bigger cow.

Is there any efficiency data out there maybe based on breed of cow and cow-size? I've argued with others that small cows make more money on forages like fescue, but need some data.

Thanks, Jerry

We've attended several SHo-Me-Select sales and haven't been very temted to buy anything. The reason they are so big is becasue that's what a lot of people want. There are smaller genetic sized cattle of both Hereford and Angus blk or RED. We just got carcass data back on the last steer that was slaughtered. At 185 days he weaned at 492 from a heifer, BW of 60 lbs. Weight was 894 YG3 REA 12.7 BF .6 graded choice. Everything, almost, in the pen went YG3 or 4. When asked they said they had held them over longer then they should have by about 3 weeks. We were told not to worry about it that it was a fluke. Now the good part. That pen was in the top 10% of those slaguhtered in September so we are all getting a premium. About 36 bucks. It ain't much, but I'm not giving it back. There are bulls that can give you good carcass numbers across the board. That's what EPDs are all about. That calves momma this weaning time weight 1105 lbsand her heifer calf weaned at 546 lbs. at 214 days, BW 70 lbs. This is all grass, fescue/clover mix with a little orchard grass , very little. The frame size bugaboo can sneak up on you and bite you when you least expect it. We stick with FS 5.5 - 6 bulls, Occasionally we will sneak up to 6.2 or even 6.5 but the heifers go to others that like the larger animals, or they go to the feedlot. Shoot me aqn e-mail if I can help you with anything else.

dun

> I've been waiting from someone
> with your experience to bring up
> the topic of small cows because I
> have questions -

> I also live in SW Mo and try to
> keep cow size down due to forage
> concerns. [I have Hereford and
> Hereford/Angus cross.] I know you
> probably focus on grade in the
> calves you sell, but coming from
> small cows, how well do calves do
> in the yield dept. at slaughter
> compared to other Angus or
> Herefords? Do you compensate for
> small genetics of cow with a
> high-growth bull?

> I'm assuming you kept cows small
> by selecting breeding stock with
> smaller genetics. If so, how do
> you find them this small? Are they
> crossbreeds or pure? The cows I
> have that are ~10-years old are
> from small old-line Hereford (plus
> a little Jersey from way back) and
> weight 1200# or less. I've kept
> many heifers from these good-old
> cows (using low-BW Angus bulls),
> but I think due to better genetics
> in the bull, or hybrid-vigor,
> their calves are turning out to be
> 1400+ lb cows. [Sold a few last
> week so I know the weights.] Then
> I have bought several that were
> going thru the Show-me heifer
> replacement program, and they have
> grown to >1500#. I'm guessing
> on these, but they look huge
> compared to old cows! The big cows
> wean the same size calf, but seem
> to eat twice as much. But I've
> wondered if calves from these
> bigger cows are likely to have
> better yield at slaughter.

> How does feeding of the heifers
> affect the final cow size? The
> show-me heifers I bought were
> mostly angus, but were big when I
> bought them. The seller said they
> were on "supplement" so I wonder
> if this grew them out. Now it
> seems that it is costing a lot in
> hay to sustain their size. They
> don't keep condition in winter as
> well either.

> Then how does age of breeding
> affect final cow size? On the
> heifers I keep from old-cows, I've
> been waiting till 18-months to
> breed. I knew I was losing income
> by keeping them open longer, but I
> wonder if it's costing me in the
> long-run because it makes for a
> bigger cow.

> Is there any efficiency data out
> there maybe based on breed of cow
> and cow-size? I've argued with
> others that small cows make more
> money on forages like fescue, but
> need some data.

> Thanks, Jerry

[email protected]

Yeah? You think so??? Well, let me tell you something Mister!

My daddy is better than your daddy. My bulls might be smaller than yours (might not) but they can out perform your bull. My dog might be smaller than yours but he can still whip your dog every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Seriously, we're all tired of you and your inferiority complex. What a pathetic shame. Grow up, boy, and realize that the more you pop off the less anybody takes you seriously. For crying out loud, somebody would think you had the cattle market cornered. If your product is so much better, like you say it is, why doesn't it bring a huge premium to the rest of the country? Hu??? Poor management, or is that you are full of it? Sometimes you sound like a cow man with some experience. But as soon as you start to come around, you just can't help yourself. You have to haul off and spout some lame remark that shows what your really are: a drugstore cowboy. All the BS on your boots is on the inside.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaa haaaaaaaaaa haaa ha ha

What a drip~~~

yeah really, maybe he will leave college and go home for the week end and let mommy fix him some supper and do his laundry for him. maybe that will make him feel better and he wont be in such a foul mood. that little boy is too funny