BULLS

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I posed a question a while back about the breeding age of heifer calf i bought recently.by the way thanks to dun for the reply. what i am wonderinng now is this, i have a santa gertrudis bull also about 2or 3months older than the angus holstein cross heifer. when i breed the two together if they produce another heifer calf, could you breed the daughter back with the same bull or get another bull?

[email protected]

when
> i breed the two together if they
> produce another heifer calf, could
> you breed the daughter back with
> the same bull or get another bull?

you can breed back a bull to his daughter with no probems but not his grand-daughter; I've been doing this for about 10 years with no problems what so ever. If you breed back to his grand-daughter, you will probably get into same blood problems, so I've never tried. I change bulls every 3-4 years to avoid this.

Commonly bulls are changed every other year to prevent breeding back to his daughters. If your bull is truly exceptional and for multiple previous generations there are no faults/traits that are undesirable you could breed him to his daughters. I persoanlly wouldn't, but since we AI 100% we aren'r really faced with the situation.

dun

> I posed a question a while back
> about the breeding age of heifer
> calf i bought recently.by the way
> thanks to dun for the reply. what
> i am wonderinng now is this, i
> have a santa gertrudis bull also
> about 2or 3months older than the
> angus holstein cross heifer. when

Right now we have 3 bulls that we are using (1 is to be ready in few months). Since we have a 100% registered herd, we selectively breed a given bull to any one of our brood cows. We don't breed back closely (i.e., father/daughter, mother/son).

[email protected]

Only breed the calf back to its sire if you enjoy playing Russian Roulette. It can work very well, but you can also have a total disaster. Mixing the genetics of animals that closely related is playing with fire.

Find another bull, or sell off your bull before he breeds his daughters.

> I posed a question a while back
> about the breeding age of heifer
> calf i bought recently.by the way
> thanks to dun for the reply. what
> i am wonderinng now is this, i
> have a santa gertrudis bull also
> about 2or 3months older than the
> angus holstein cross heifer. when

similar but different, how do you all feel about breeding a bull and a heifer/cow from the same dam but different sires

Still about one generation too close for my taste

dun

> similar but different, how do you
> all feel about breeding a bull and
> a heifer/cow from the same dam but
> different sires

i just wouldn't go there, unless both the dam and the sire are so exceptional that even if you get three bad calves, that one super calf will make up for it.

[email protected]

NEVER BREED A BULL TO HIS DAUGHTER...... Unless you are averaging $3000 a bull at your sale and know what the hell you are doing. What you described is called inbreeding most of the time this is bad. I'm trying to type this slow since your from Texas and will have trouble reading this. Hell maybe you should breed the heifer to her dad, couldn't make those southern bred cattle any worse.

[email protected]

Black Power...I see you're still at slamming & putting down other people! You are a slow learner and definitely not politically correct! Don't know what swamp you come from or from what third world country; however, "Texans" have quality genetics just like other civilized and well-bred States or countries. Of course, like any other State, we do have some mental cases here too. You occasionally have a good idea or valid point. However, your arrogance and continual put-downs of other members on this board are not appreciated! I guess we just need to consider the source and not take your caustic comments too seriously....you're definitely not "winning friends and (positively) influencing people" on this board. People don't mind having their opinions and ideas challenged, etc., what people DO mind is having someone slam or condem their integrity, human breeding, and station in life. If you can't respond to people in a decent and civil manner, I suggest you get off this board and find another place to vent your opinions....

[email protected]

black, you obviously don't have a clue about this subject, and probably don't have a clue about most of these subjects on this board.Personally, I think you are an idiot.

> Commonly bulls are changed every
> other year to prevent breeding
> back to his daughters. If your
> bull is truly exceptional and for
> multiple previous generations
> there are no faults/traits that
> are undesirable you could breed
> him to his daughters. I persoanlly
> wouldn't, but since we AI 100% we
> aren'r really faced with the
> situation.

> dun

Dun, opinion please.

How about 1/2 brother & sister together? Same sire, different Dams?

[email protected]

Still too close for my taste.

dun

> Dun, opinion please.

> How about 1/2 brother & sister
> together? Same sire, different
> Dams?

Blackie, you're insecure. From time to time you actually make an intelligent comment, which shows that a lot can be learned in a few months experience if you're hanging around somebody who really knows cattle.

Regarding your Texas comment, please bear in mind how sensitive we've always been. We're known for it, just like we're known for our ignorance regarding cattle.

As per some of your previous posts, the longhorn has a storied past, even if it is just a novelty these days. If somebody wants to go through their money messing with them, what's that to you? The Santa Gert is still an impressive animal.

Keep learning (which means listening more than talking) and one of these days you'll know the difference between sic 'em and come here. In the meantime, don't forget that cockiness is a dead giveaway for a greenhorn.

Craig-TX

I, like everyone else, am tired of your responses. They are rarely positive or worth reading. Your arrogance and ignorance come shining through each time. Like I've said in the past, I know who I would NEVER buy cattle from on this list.

[email protected]

Well every one else here has shown much more tact than I would waste on this foolish response.

Your comments are nothing but rude and ignorant.

Most Texans, not imports, would be happy to remove themselves from association with the rest of this Nation, with folks like you out there, we can see why.

Texas does not need any part of this country for any reason, we are the only fully self sufficient State in the Nation, yet we tollerate polluting our State to continue to supply needed resources for the rest of the country.

The only state I see that has a really bad inbreeding problem would be Arkansas, and we have seen what that state can produce and it should be a lesson as to why inbreeding should only be done in livestock, where you can legally cut their head off and turn them into useful product.

Don't mean to offend any from Arkansas, there are some good normal people there too.

[email protected]

I have lived there. And found the people in my area to be pleasant, friendly folks. I don't see why you make it a point to be rude to an entire state.

> Well every one else here has shown
> much more tact than I would waste
> on this foolish response.

> Your comments are nothing but rude
> and ignorant.

> Most Texans, not imports, would be
> happy to remove themselves from
> association with the rest of this
> Nation, with folks like you out
> there, we can see why.

> Texas does not need any part of
> this country for any reason, we
> are the only fully self sufficient
> State in the Nation, yet we
> tollerate polluting our State to
> continue to supply needed
> resources for the rest of the
> country.

> The only state I see that has a
> really bad inbreeding problem
> would be Arkansas, and we have
> seen what that state can produce
> and it should be a lesson as to
> why inbreeding should only be done
> in livestock, where you can
> legally cut their head off and
> turn them into useful product.

> Don't mean to offend any from
> Arkansas, there are some good
> normal people there too.

Get off your Texas high horse,Texas may be a lot of things but it is a defeated nation just like the rest of the C.S.A. I am from Tennessee,Crockett county, home town of Alamo...If it was not for the men of Tennessee there would be a Texas only it would be a part of Mexico. I would be glad to talk about the history of Texas, but that is not as important as the pollution your state with it liberal pro oil produces.If Texas was a country it would be the 6th most polluting nation on earth. So when you are tell how great Texas is, and how much it does for the rest of us, there are alot of thing in Texas we could do without..ALF

[email protected]

it seems as if rudeness, putdown and antagonisist remarks is becoming more and more the norm on these boards lately... i wish i could put things into words like craig-tx can, i bet he could write novels... anyway... the word cattleman has always been synonomous with a RESPECTABLE person who helps and not BASHES others...

this is not aimed at anyone in particular... just to give thought to the old saying... if you aint got something good to say... then dont say anything...

just my 2 cents

gene

> I have lived there. And found the
> people in my area to be pleasant,
> friendly folks. I don't see why
> you make it a point to be rude to
> an entire state.

[email protected]

Latest posts