Bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

hurleyjd

Reaction score
Been looking for some young bulls. Drove hour and half to look at a red angus he had a pretty good body but was coon footed. The man wanted 2800 for him. I had been driving past a pasture with some black angus. Finally found out who owned the bulls. Any way I bought two 18 month bulls for 3600 for both. I would guess that they may weigh around 1100 to 1200 lbs.

Pasture bulls go for about U$S 1.50 per pound here also. Can be good ones, but definitely buyer beware.
Smaller/newer breeders often get about $2 per pound. Usually good ones. My biggest bull is this kind - - throws very nice calves, better than some AI calves, but a little too large for heifers. Dam epds.
Reputation feedlot bulls go for about $5,000 per head. Look great initially but some fall apart.

wbvs58":3gplidn8 said:
What's "coon footed"?

Ken

I like to guess on those kind of descriptions.

I am going to say they have a lot of the sole of their claw on the ground as opposed to one that stands on the tips of their claws. I see that condition and I don't like it. A coon puts all his foot on the ground.

Bright Raven":1k28c1y2 said:
wbvs58":1k28c1y2 said:
What's "coon footed"?

Ken

I am going to say they have a lot of the sole of their claw on the ground as opposed to one that stands on the tips of their claws. I see that condition and I don't like it. A coon puts all his foot on the ground.

Interesting.

Bright Raven":e7u98x8c said:
wbvs58":e7u98x8c said:
What's "coon footed"?

Ken

Thought it meant he had 5 toes on each foot.

Taking one of the bulls to the vet tomorrow. Looks like he has a problem with his penis. Hanging out of the sheave about eight inches and swelled up the size of a tennis ball on the end. Will not have good news here I am afraid. I really think someone somewhere is telling me to get out of the cow business. One of the voices is the woman I live with.

hurleyjd":3h9axzjb said:
Taking one of the bulls to the vet tomorrow. Looks like he has a problem with his penis. Hanging out of the sheave about eight inches and swelled up the size of a tennis ball on the end. Will not have good news here I am afraid. I really think someone somewhere is telling me to get out of the cow business. One of the voices is the woman I live with.

You should listen to the voice of Divinity!

hurleyjd":3czft4ik said:
That's too bad. It sounds serious, but hoping it is not.

Hi there my name is Desiree I am new to this site and currently selling Black Angus Bulls 4 out of 5 are SMR/CCC First option
would anyone be able to give some advice on how / where is the best place to sell them we are located near Denver
My in laws are trying to sell them and I am trying to help but Ill be honest I have no idea what I am doing ??

Bar39":12f779xt said:
Hi there my name is Desiree I am new to this site and currently selling Black Angus Bulls 4 out of 5 are SMR/CCC First option
would anyone be able to give some advice on how / where is the best place to sell them we are located near Denver
My in laws are trying to sell them and I am trying to help but Ill be honest I have no idea what I am doing ??
:welcome: First it really depends a lot on the demand around you as to how you market them. There are a lot of cattle people around us so we advertise in the local paper and that almost always works. Other ways are through social media and craigslist although you can often get people who will try to chew you down on price. A good reputation is also a big help. Once people start to recognize you and your cattle they will spread it by word of mouth. We have sold so many animals to people who said "So and so sent us to you and they say you have great cattle." Another option that we do is through registered consignment sales, which they may sell well in, but it also earns you a reputation. Obviously, the last option would be the market, but I doubt that is where you want them to go. Good luck selling them.