Bulls; what's the difference

Help Support CattleToday:

Integrity might not be a flop but for what the hype was on him it sure was a big let down for a lot of people. I bought a bred heifer carrying a pregnancy by him and the calf had a yearling weight of right at 675# we try to at least get our heifer calves to weigh 800 or better by yearling for a mature weight of around 1200 to 1300 #.

When I was at Riverbend they had a few Integrity's and you could easily walk through the pen and pick them out..... they were tiny. Granted to moderate frame in large cattle he might work wonders. It is all in the cross and the goal of the program.

AIT,

That does not mean she milks!! See what happens this year with a calf out of a different sire.. and if you really want to know if it is a bad mating breed her back to Integrity for the third calf, she should be entering her prime by then. (Dont worry I would not do that mating either!)

Brandonm2":2p5t7bvy said:
ga. prime":2p5t7bvy said:
Brandon, I greatly respect your opinions, but you lost me here. You're saying what?

IF you go back to the original question, Alan is asking what is the difference between a big name bull and an 'unknown' bull who MAY be just as good. My answer (though a bit wordy) is that early on it is just marketing; BUT once used in numerous herds, the very fact that the bull has been proven with hundreds of progeny in the feedlot, in the show ring, in the pasture, and that he now has those high accuracy EPDs and that family album full of successful progeny makes him worth more than a less utilized and still basically unproven cousin.
OK. Can't argue with that! :lol:

ga. prime":1tk372k6 said:
Alan, yes it is marketing. Minnesota Man, you can't get "same quality" for $1200-$2000 at any sale I've been to in the past 5 years. You get the dregs for that price. It takes $3000-$5000 to get top quality in this locale..Angus I'm talking of. Brandon, I greatly respect your opinions, but you lost me here. You're saying what?

I don't think my fellow minnesotan was talking about SALES as much as buying private treaty. We purchased an excellant 2 year old alliance 6595 son for less than $2000 last year and he looks as good or better in most cases than most AI bulls in the catalogs-and is producing awesome offspring. And u can purchase 5 or 6 year old bulls for slaughter price that can still do a couple years worth of breeding for ya.

Latest posts