bulls not gaining

Help Support CattleToday:

bullman75574

Reaction score
I have been feeding about 9 head of yearling bulls,i pulled them off grass wormed them two months ago been feeding them free choice hay and 15lbs of a mixture of cracked corn corn gluten soyhull pellets ddg and they are not gaining like i think they should.this feed is about 15%protien 3%fat.i could be wrong but i think it is the bi products like ddg and corn gluten,i just dont seem to get along with it.could somebody give me a mix to feed them without the bi products.thanks

I never had good luck with SBH in a finishing ration.
Theres lots of research backing 40% or less of CGF and distillers.
I use the CGF with good success.

Might need to think about feeding more feed and less hay.

If they're for slaughter you need to get them up to around 2% of there body weight a day in grain, if for breeding I would probably keep it aorund 1 1/2%

grannysoo":5nc9dfi5 said:
bullman75574":5nc9dfi5 said:
15lbs per head not total :roll:
:nod: Good answer.

Are you weighing them or eye-balling them to determine the weight gain? What kind of gain are you getting?

I was wondering the same thing, also how long have you been feeding them this feed?

bullman75574":3u3c4zjh said:
15lbs per head not total :roll:

If they weighed 1,000 lb that is still only 1.5% of their body weight. I don't imagine they are going to grow really fast only eating that amount. On the other hand how fast do you want yearling bulls to grow?

you really need tobe feeding 20 to 25lbs a hd.if im feeding a growing breeding bull.i give him 10 to 12lbs 2x a day.an all the hay he can eat.

these bulls are acually bucking bulls ,they are 20 months old and wieght about 750#,these are smaller type cattle they will only weight 1500#or so fully mature.im just trying to put as much muscle on them and fill them out as much as i can.they have been on the feed for 2 months and it dont seem to be working fast enough.should i change feed,feed them more any imput would be great.

bullman75574":gbkntmw9 said:
these bulls are acually bucking bulls ,they are 20 months old and wieght about 750#,these are smaller type cattle they will only weight 1500#or so fully mature.im just trying to put as much muscle on them and fill them out as much as i can.they have been on the feed for 2 months and it dont seem to be working fast enough.should i change feed,feed them more any imput would be great.

I trust they are parasite free and in good condition?

If so it only leaves poor doing genetics.

bullman75574":30cwy4pn said:
I have been feeding about 9 head of yearling bulls,i pulled them off grass wormed them two months ago been feeding them free choice hay and 15lbs of a mixture of cracked corn corn gluten soyhull pellets ddg and they are not gaining like i think they should.this feed is about 15%protien 3%fat.i could be wrong but i think it is the bi products like ddg and corn gluten,i just dont seem to get along with it.could somebody give me a mix to feed them without the bi products.thanks

Yearling Bulls ought to be weighing 900+
So you dont need a 15% ration thats a little too hot and you can burn the papillae off the inner lining of the rumen wall which I have seen a few rookies do in the past.
900 - 1000 lb bulls
They need 2.1 TP
15 x .15 x .9 = 2.03
you need a little bit cooler ration 15% is way to high for bulls this age and size... expensive and unnecessary.
Corn / SBH/ SBM 12% ration
900 x .028 = 25.2
2.1 x 20% = 0.42 2.1 - 0.42= 1.68
1.68/(0.12 x .90) = 1.68 / 0.11 = 15.3 bs 12% feed ration plus
grass hay 0.42/FV 0.05 = 8.4 lbs grass hay
15.3 + 8.4 = 23.7
This should work much better-- go easy on that 15% stuff as a dairy ration is 16% lol

How do you calculate TDN when you don't know the exact inclusion rate of each ingredient or is alway using 90% just an acquired habit?? :dunce:

TexasBred":3r94gj40 said:
How do you calculate TDN when you don't know the exact inclusion rate of each ingredient or is alway using 90% just an acquired habit?? :dunce:
No you just go to the feedstuffs board and look up the TDN for instance a Feed value is CP x TDN. This isn't rocket science!

Table 1. Nutrient content of various feed grains (NRC, 2008).
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Corn Barley Wheat Oats Sorghum
TDN, % 90 88 88 77 82
NEm, Mcal/lb 1.02 0.94 0.99 0.84 0.91
NEg, Mcal/lb 0.70 0.64 0.68 0.55 0.61
CP, % 9.8 13.2 14.2 13.6 12.6
Escape Protein, % of CP 55 27 23 17 57
NDF, % 10.8 18.1 11.8 29.3 16.1
ADF, % 3.3 5.8 4.2 14.0 6.4
It can be LOOKED UP

Theres more rocket science to it than you are giving it credit.

-- most of his ingredients(byproducts) lack starch(the heat factor). And they have very high levels of protein. So the higher protein is NOT an indicator of how "hot" a feed is when byproducts are used.
The ONLY issue with feeding higher protein than the animals need is that they will piss most of it on the ground- so it can be wasted money- unless you are feeding the byproduct for its cheaper energy value(as I think they are in this case) .

His feed- unless the corn part is most of it- is pretty safe.

Theres lot of other ingredients that can be used- the gold standard is Corn and SBMEAL or corn and a commercial protein supplement pellet. You need to check local and see what ingredients are available and cost effective. Its varies greatly across the country and even sometimes states.

Howdyjabo":11imycw3 said:
Theres more rocket science to it than you are giving it credit.

-- most of his ingredients(byproducts) lack starch(the heat factor). And they have very high levels of protein. So the higher protein is NOT an indicator of how "hot" a feed is when byproducts are used.
The ONLY issue with feeding higher protein than the animals need is that they will be nice most of it on the ground- so it can be wasted money- unless you are feeding the byproduct for its cheaper energy value(as I think they are in this case) .

His feed- unless the corn part is most of it- is pretty safe.

Theres lot of other ingredients that can be used- the gold standard is Corn and SBMEAL or corn and a commercial protein supplement pellet. You need to check local and see what ingredients are available and cost effective. Its varies greatly across the country and even sometimes states.

And if you do decide the do some "ciphering" like 4CJethroBodiine does please use "as fed" numbers as nobody formulates nor feeds on a 100% dry matter basis.

feeding the free choice hay, you don't need the SBH. for 15 lbs/hd/day, i'd feed 10 lbs corn and 5 lbs DDG's. as they put on weight - add more corn to the ration and keep the DDG's the same (until the ration is decreased in protein to about 11.5 %). don't forget the vit. & min., i'd probably also worm them again. you could also check into condensed distillers - it is a good source of fat and cattle love it. works real good poured over the top of the feed ration (4-5 lbs/hd/day)

ROB

Latest posts