bulls not equally prolific

Help Support CattleToday:

Gee I wonder how much the study cost to just come up with the same thing that has been known for years.

Yeah dun. I thought it was more informative than it is. I tried to listen to the Webinar and couldn't stand to listen to the woman presenting it. Then-I tried to delete the topic and can't do that either. :hide:

Chocolate Cow":18n600wr said:
Interesting article posted on FaceBook this morning.

https://www.producer.com/2017/11/bulls- ... c-pasture/

"The recommendation is one bull per 25 cows, but results from the first year showed that one bull produced just one calf while the highest was 53 calves. The average was 21 calves per bull."

I would hate to end up with a bull that produced one calf.

Something I am not clear about after reading the article is how the cattle were managed. Were all the cattle together or were they in smaller herds? I would think if there are multiple bulls together that the dominant bull would be keeping other bulls from breeding. But if that low-performing bull were on his own he might produce many calves.

whole article doesn't mean much because there were too many variables that were not addressed.

what we do not know is if it is the fault of the article author .....

or the fault of a poorly designed project that someone got a degree on anyway....

Latest posts