bulls limping..stick in hoof..crazy little stick

Help Support CattleToday:

dieselbeef

Reaction score
size of a pencil...was kinda in between ...had to get him in the chute..man he was not happy...roped his leg and pulled it up and got it out..was jammed in there pretty good but didn't come out wet..stinks awful..didn't see anything like it had abcessed or anything..was able to get my fingers in there and they didn't come out bloody or covered in puss...

.should've gave him some la200? its all I have antibiotic wise but it wasn't handy at the time...been since Friday last week pulled it out sunday..so it was in there 3 4 days...hopefully heis walking better today...still worth the giving him the shot? I know its really a respiratoy antibiotic...so idk if its worth anything or not...vets gonna geet the call Friday for sat visit if he aint strutting by then

any thoughts...something better to give him can get without a script

LA200 should work
What I did with a cow that got an alfalfa stem or something poked between her toes is I had tetracycline powder that's intended for dosing drinking water, I cut a strip of old towel about 4" wide, wet it, then put the powder on it really heavy, put it between her toes and wrapped it up good with duct tape.. it did the trick
It damaged the nail bed a bit though and that hoof grows funny now

Yup, clean with iodine and I "floss" the area with an old washcloth or rag cut into strips (a thin rope would also work). I also thoroughly saturate the area with Kopertox. LA only if no improvement or I've also had success with Sustain III cattle boluses - not an RX, you can get them at a tractor supply store, local Co-Op or online.

BTW, I wouldn't use LA200 or 300 for anything respiratory, it's a waste of money and ineffective.

My bull had a rock stuck in his foot in the summer, very similar situation. I actually ended up giving him a shot of Resflour bcs that's all I had on hand, he was fine. I use resflour for foot rot off label. Seems to clear up everything.

I had a cow with a nail in her foot a few weeks after that. I gave her penicillin and tetanus.

I've also recently had a cow with a bad foot, similar issue, I gave her nothing, she took longer to come back but she was fine within 2 weeks.

If it's not swollen and he's getting around alright, I wouldn't give him anything.

What Buck said...
But... if not, LA200 in combination with sustained-release sulfa boluses is what I always used to treat footrot, etc. Dosed appropriately, you get 3-4 days' worth of treatment with one administration, and both of those drugs work well on skin and soft tissue.

Latest posts