Bull's Hooves Overgrown

Help Support CattleToday:

smcneil

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
We've had Beefmaster cows for about 10 years, but I have a problem that we've never faced. Our 4 year old bull's hooves have become very overgrown this winter. They actually extend from the front of his hoof like wooden shoes. The ground has been very soft, but none of the cows have this problem.

A neighbor suggested that the type of feed we use could contribute to this problem (12% protein grain mix plus hay when there's no grass) but the cows get the same food.

Does anyone know of a traveling cow farrier who would come to my farm - Liberty County Texas - and trim his feet? He is gentle, but not halter broken. We have had people come through in the past and trim show cows at the fairgrounds when our daughters were showing in 4 H, but no one remembers who those people were or how to get in touch.

I would appreciate any advice or names anyone could give me.

Ask your vet. Our local vet would do it in the chute.. it wasn't pretty, but got the job done.

The only other option would be hauling to A & M. They have a tilt table and can get the job done.

Don't have his # here in front of me but George Kimes in Liberty trimms hooves. He has a hyd. table to put them on...my bull weighs 2600 lbs & he handles him with no problem.

Latest posts