bulls fighting

Help Support CattleToday:

plbcattle

Reaction score
anyone got any suggestions about how to keep bulls from fighting. I have both my herd sires with about 10 yearling bulls. there is never a problem. when the 2 bulls get together they try to kill each other. It would make my life easier if I could combine them in one pasture for feeding and water. they have been off cows for a couple of weeks and they are not within 25 miles of a cow. They shouldn't be fighting over cows since they aren't near any. I would let them work this out and just get over it but one of my bulls is very expensive and my luck is he would be the one to get hurt. any suggestions. I can pet and rub each bull and my children do as well. they aren't wild at all

They are trying to esablish rank. There is a chance on or both of them can get hurt. The only way to avoid a problem is to move one of the bulls. I know thats not what you wanted to hear, sorry.

txshowmom":3gcq84tl said:
They are trying to esablish rank. There is a chance on or both of them can get hurt. The only way to avoid a problem is to move one of the bulls. I know thats not what you wanted to hear, sorry.

Your right he needs to move a bull cause bulls are going to fight. Thats what bulls do when they are not digging holes. Even after rank or pecking order is established they are going to get after it from time to time. And you better keep them kids away before one gets killed thats a bull, you can never trust a bull, quickest way I know to get hurt.

quickest way I know to get hurt.[/quote]

Maybe not the quickest, but the surest

Nobody gets killed by a rank mean bull.
Its always those gentle giants that eat your lunch.

Hillbilly

It is something that will take a little time. Just as these fellers said they are estblishing the rank order in the herd. Not that this matters but I have 62 rodeo bulls all in one pasture and evry time new ones arrive it starts up BUT I haven't had as bad of a time with them as I do with all the breeding bulls. Be patient and hope no one breaks a leg, just like kids they have to work it out

Campground Cattle":dmm3qk0n said:
txshowmom":dmm3qk0n said:

You're right he needs to move a bull cause bulls are going to fight. Thats what bulls do when they are not digging holes. Even after rank or pecking order is established they are going to get after it from time to time. And you better keep them kids away before one gets killed thats a bull, you can never trust a bull, quickest way I know to get hurt.

Agree...that's what bulls do, when they are not breeding. LOL. We keep mature bulls separated by 14' wide alleyways in sub-pastures. Weaned bulls separate. Yearling bulls separate. Yearling bulls servicing heifers in pasture separated by 14' alleyway from mature bulls. Bulls and fences are expensive...not to mention the cost of people...lol.

hillbilly":2sxuwmtb said:
quickest way I know to get hurt.

Maybe not the quickest, but the surest

Nobody gets killed by a rank mean bull.
Its always those gentle giants that eat your lunch.

Hillbilly[/quote]

Very well put, Old man over in Trinty County was killed by two Hereford bulls that got to fighting over a cow in the pen, crushed him.

I read an article a while ago where a bloke put a donkey in with his bulls and it dominated the bulls and stopped them fighting,dont know how much truth in it.my standard bred horse had no trouble ruling the roost in a yard full of 900kg steers they wernt game to look sideways at him and he was a pussycat

Lots of good comments above. I'd separate them also since you're not running them with cows right now. If you have them on cows there's not anything to do but let them figure out who's on top. That usually won't take more than an hour or two, possibly with a few brief follow ups. Just make sure you, your pickup and anything or anybody else is way clear. A bullfight covers a lot of ground in a short amount of time. One time I saw a fight last for several hours, very impressive. They would fight, rest, fight, rest. The little guy won out of sheer tenacity.

Also agree on the "gentle bull" comments. I never rub a bull or let a bull get close enough to be rubbed.

Craig-TX

Also agree on the "gentle bull" comments. I never rub a bull or let a bull get close enough to be rubbed.

Craig-TX[/quote]
In the Ozarks you somtimes here the phrase,
"Youre so dumb you probably have a Pet Bull"

Hillbilly

Latest posts