Bulls fighting.

Help Support CattleToday:

True Grit Farms

Reaction score

I had to separate them before something bad happens. These bulls were raised together since birth and are only 1 1/2 years old. I've had them together with bred cows and no problems, put them with girls that are ready and this is what happens every time. I have no grass, no hay and can't hardly keep them apart, and I need my cows bred. Any ideas?

LDEnterprises":27u4rrol said:
TennesseeTuxedo":27u4rrol said:
Add a third bull or separate your cows into two evenly numbered groups.

Exactly why we try to have an odd number of bulls with each herd. Either one or three depending on the size of the herd. While two are fighting one will be servicing!

I'm guilty of violating this rule myself. I'm running 2 bulls right now but one is 5 and the other is 2 and there is a significant size difference between them. So far no fighting.

Maybe rotate them in and out TG? Keep a fresh one on them weekly? Or maybe every couple of days at the beginning of breeding season, then lengthen the rotations as they get them taken care of?

The geese seem unconcerned about it.

Agreed with all the points.. split them up, get rid of one if you can.
I'm running 2 bulls, each one gets half the herd in their own pasture.. younger one beats the tar out of the older one

ez14.":1nulr3g9 said:
callmefence":1nulr3g9 said:
If you have no grass and no hay it's time to consider selling half or more.
i was thinking the same thing

I've been selling a trailer load a week for the past month now. I'm selling 4-6 month bred older cows tomorrow, and some pairs Wednesday. All the steers and most of the commercial heifers are gone. I've bred, culled and worked my tail off for these cows and there's only one that's even close to a cull because of bottle teats. My wife is and has been in a uproar because I won't buy anymore hay. At least the price has been decent.

Sorry to hear you guys are having a bad time with weather. Is this a continuation from the dought from last summer and fall? All of Georgia having it?

cattle60":257q1gn8 said:
Sorry to hear you guys are having a bad time with weather. Is this a continuation from the dought from last summer and fall? All of Georgia having it?

cattle60":3ns8b2u4 said:

The drought is from middle Georgia and south all the way to central Florida. North and northeast Georgia had it bad this fall but they've overcome it nicely.

True Grit Farms":23sklmlv said:
ez14.":23sklmlv said:
callmefence":23sklmlv said:
If you have no grass and no hay it's time to consider selling half or more.
i was thinking the same thing

I've been selling a trailer load a week for the past month now. I'm selling 4-6 month bred older cows tomorrow, and some pairs Wednesday. All the steers and most of the commercial heifers are gone. I've bred, culled and worked my tail off for these cows and there's only one that's even close to a cull because of bottle teats. My wife is and has been in a uproar because I won't buy anymore hay. At least the price has been decent.

That's stinks. I've seen it happen in a bad way.
Imo your doing the right thing. Trying to feed through a drought is a bad move
Good luck

Been there with the drought, Grit. All the cows were eventually bred but our Spring calving segued into stragglers the rest of the year. I try to put a younger bull with an older bull but if that's not an option they generally simmer down after a day or so of re-establishing dominance. Sending best wishes!

Latest posts