Bulls can be such a pain

Help Support CattleToday:

Texas G@l

Reaction score
Yesterday morning we realized we were missing a bull. There are only 2 very small pastures (one is 3 acres, the other is 10) that border us with any cattle on them. We checked those fence lines first. Everything was good and our bull was no where in sight. Checked the back fence; all was good there, too. Decided to kill the 4 wheeler and call. Sure enough , he answered. He was on the other side of the back fence.... Where there are no cattle. We opened the gate, shook the feed bucket and he followed me home. No clue how or why he jumped the fence . I was surprised he cleared the fence since he's a 5 yo chunky monkey Hereford. All's well that ends well.

If it starts to be a habit, he'll take a one way trip to town. He would not be the first bull we so!d for that kind of behavior.

Nose ring, 18" of light gate chain, and a good hot wire. I don't care if there is an entire dairy in heat next door. He'll stay home.

Nose ring, 18" of light gate chain, and a good hot wire. I don't care if there is an entire dairy in heat next door. He'll stay home.
That don't work all the time, back in the 60's we had a big cow I mean BIG , bigger than most bulls, a char/brah cross, nose ring/chain would not stop her, even put a weight on end of chain, she learned to flip the weight over fence and follow it over. Took a fence or 2 for her learn it.

We just spent the entire afternoon fixing fence. Never a good thing when you're headed into town and find two of your bulls fighting in the road. Busted clear through the fence that even had cattle panels as additional support. One bull was still inside the pasture & the neighbors bull was joining in, bellowing & pawing. Just one big testosterone cluster. Idiots. Fortunately, my bulls simmered down when I came back with the Polaris and followed me .25 mile back up the road to the gate. And, of course, resumed fighting once they were back in their pasture. Lots of cuts, missing hair on their legs and probably a lot of bruising but at least none of them are limping or seriously injured. Did I already call them idiots? Bears repeating!

That don't work all the time, back in the 60's we had a big cow I mean BIG , bigger than most bulls, a char/brah cross, nose ring/chain would not stop her, even put a weight on end of chain, she learned to flip the weight over fence and follow it over. Took a fence or 2 for her learn it.
I know of a guy that hung a 2' chain and a bowling ball (kind of extreme) off the nose of a Simmental bull to keep him in. He stayed home, and settled all the cows.
I've heard stories of long ago. Some neighbors milked Ayrshires. They ran a cable from the barn to a light pile by the water tank. The bull was hooked to a chain, hooked to the cable. He could go from the barn to the water and back. If the cows wanted bred they had to come to him.

Was sitting on the front porch yesterday and watched the cows go through the forest....Not a pasture. Since they ran to the back of the property they would get stopped by gates/fence. I went to the front to see a bent over step in post in the corner of the paddock. I opened the gate and had to recruit my wife and son to walk them back up the hill with me. Silly cows.

Me and my dad pen our bulls together in a lot when not breeding. They were fighting and 1 went they the woven wire fence with 3 hot strands. absolutely destroyed it. So we started breeding season early, hauled 1 to 1 farm and turned the other out with my dads cows. Usually they settle down but this spring they fought a lot

Latest posts