bull's back leg joint gives

Help Support CattleToday:

jt

Reaction score
was at a friends house yesterday looking at his cattle.. he had an 11 month old bull that when he walked his back legs at the joint would kind of like snap into place..

never seen this and not sure if i can describe it well, but as he walked and placed his back foot on the ground, the arch in his back leg would become greater because his joint would just give at the last moment and would appear to have snapped into place. i dont hear well, so i could hear it if it even made a noise??, but you could definitely see it. not necessarily on the small steps, but on the regular walk, both legs would do it.

just wonder what this is? anyone ran across this?

thanks

jt

I've seen the snap in the ankle, which can be fixed with a hoove trimming or two.

It may be the tendon. If it gets stretched, it will cross over the knee, and snap back when the angle is great enough to pull it across. (I know I'm not explaining that correctly.. :roll: )

Anyway, if the bull is a good one, a vet can snip the tendon which will shorten it so it doesn't catch when the bull flexes the leg.

TheBullLady":vqkjo7fk said:
It may be the tendon. If it gets stretched, it will cross over the knee, and snap back when the angle is great enough to pull it across. (I know I'm not explaining that correctly.. :roll: )

Anyway, if the bull is a good one, a vet can snip the tendon which will shorten it so it doesn't catch when the bull flexes the leg.

Wouldn't there be a possibility of passing on that defect to it's offspring? If this was something in a a couple week old calf that would be one thing, but he should have grown out of baby problems by now. My opinion is he should be cut and grow wheels.

dun

dun":hdogrb0l said:
Wouldn't there be a possibility of passing on that defect to it's offspring?

dun

that is my concern as well... this is something that just showed up... has not been noticed until now.

jt

I would sell the bull before I would do this. It is likely to be genetic.

I have a cow I showed as a yearling that developed this about four years ago. I've got two of her heifers now, and so far neither has had the same problem. It will be interesting to see if they do. It may be like hoof problems, sometimes both parents have to have that tendancy to pass it to the offspring.

Latest posts