Bulls Are Home

Help Support CattleToday:

I luv herfrds

Reaction score
Hubby went up to H'76 today and picked up the boys. Looking good. Pics were taken at sunset so not the best.

Pete

Bubba and Lad

Lad

Well we will see how their feet look like after the breeding season. We have never trimmed any of our cattle's feet.

Don't like our cattle don't have to look at them Vic!

Going to see if I can track down a hoof trimmer, but there is not any around here and the one guy that does it has trimmed his cattle's hooves down so far they are almost walking on their pasterns.

Trimming takes off the excess growth, recontours and shapes but it will not fix the structural problems evident here.

You may call the local vet. My vet does trimming and uses his own tilt chute. You will need a good set-up to force them into the chute. You can park the tilt chute at the exit from your squeeze chute. To avoid going through two chutes, I forced my cows into his chute by unpinning one of the panels of the sweep tub and blocking the alley off with a gate. I chained everything securely in place. The vet was pleased that he could back his chute against the opening in the sweep.
2djqiia.jpg

I luv herfrds":1w2pp3uv said:
Don't like our cattle don't have to look at them Vic!

Going to see if I can track down a hoof trimmer, but there is not any around here and the one guy that does it has trimmed his cattle's hooves down so far they are almost walking on their pasterns.

Pete is a good bull. The other two are fair and poor. Assuming that Bubba is the one on the left he is by far the weakest of the 3 but nuthin says they can't be good cow fresheners.

The foot issue is across the board. Makes me wonder where they wintered and how they were fed. I hope you find a good trimmer...

.........and BTW if you don't want to hear the truth don't post pictures.

The rest of us don't have the burning need to kiss your ass that Bigbull does.

inyati13 our vet does not trim hooves asked him about it when my Jersey milk cows toes were getting long, BUT there was no reason to trim her feet once she was out on pasture. The hooves wore down on their own in our soil.

Like I said the pictures were not the best and lets see how they look after the breeding season and they are out putting on some miles on this soil.

It is a hard sandy soil. If you go back to look at the first thread on building our house and the excavator could not get below a certain level. This soil will work like an emery board. Better to leave them alone then to lame them up in the middle of breeding season.

3waycross":vp78nez7 said:
bigbull338":vp78nez7 said:
the bulls look real good.

Really? Describe "REAL GOOD"

Start at the feet and work your way up!
Gall, didnt you learn anything from my bull thread :lol2: These guys dont know what the heck they are talking about. Your bulls look nice, thinking about going hereford myself...I think its the way things are shifting towards. People want that old fashion black baldy....

cowgirl8":3gih74bb said:
3waycross":3gih74bb said:
bigbull338":3gih74bb said:

Gall, didnt you learn anything from my bull thread :lol2: These guys dont know what the heck they are talking about. Your bulls look nice, thinking about going hereford myself...I think its the way things are shifting towards. People want that old fashion black baldy....

I learned quite a lot actually. Mongrel bulls + mongrel cows = mongrel calves.

i dont say much about things like this as i dont have the years of cattle in me as some but on the other hand far from a newbie. but as a hereford man i will say they look really short and there feet to me dont look so much like a feed issue as just bad breeding. bulls like these and even cows are what makes people talk bad about hereford and say they never seen a good one. the top bull is soso but still wouldnt let him breed any thing on my farm

I luv herfrds we've never owned a hereford or even a cross of one. I'm really thinking of getting a hereford bull or two soon. Can i ask, what makes a person go with the horned hereford and not a polled? I think if i were going hereford i'd go polled..i just dont like horns. But, thats not saying that no one should be like me. I'm just wondering what the difference is....are there positives on one side or the other?

cowgirl8":2f0bohyr said:
3waycross":2f0bohyr said:
bigbull338":2f0bohyr said:

Feel free to take over for Bigbull. Let's see what you have there big girl. Complete evaluation feet up.

They are not the worst I have seen spreading their seed. Would look better if they were filled out and hooves weren't out of shape.

What comes first; the chicken or the egg? Does a shallow heel/weak pastern cause overgrown feet or can overgrown feet cause a shallow heel?

Andrew

Latest posts