Bulls and their funny ways

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
Has anyone else got a bull with a wierd tendency? Our herd bull likes to come into the corral when he sees me show up near it. I have a big fly swatter that I use to whack horse flys off of him whilst he is standing there. He really enjoys letting me smack horse flys. The big swatter is red with a white plastic handle. I also have a blue one. I have noticed that if I bring the blue one out he will not let me hit flys. I switch to the red and he jogs on over for a fly whackin session. The red one interests him so much that he wants to smell it and lick it before he lets my smack any flys. He acts leery of the blue one. Both swatters are kept in the barn on the same hook. They are identical in size, shape and type. I am not sure why he likes the red over the blue. I have a couple of cows that like to be de-horse flied with the swatter but they do not care which swatter I use or even if I use a ball bat or 2x4.

It's not just bulls. I've got a cow that was always stand offish and didn't want to be touched. At some point one of her horns started growing into the side of her head and the other horn was pressing up against the other side. Last summer we cut both of the horns back (not all the way back to her skull) and it is amazing how much her personality has changed. As a matter of fact Saturday when we put out blocks she practically walked up to us and let me rub on her back.

Cuz

I'd have to admit the flyswatter thing is very strange. My bull doesn't care for me getting too close for more than a few minutes at a time.

The strangest thing he does is get into moods where he keeps all the cows and calves herded in a little circle for extended periods of time. He'll get very agitated when one of them tries to leave the circle. I've seen other bulls do this too but it still seems weird to me.

I've also noticed a difference in attitude in cows after their horns were tipped. They seem to get less aggressive.

Beefy":2l08k81q said:
maybe the red one was treated with cownip.

I thought that maybe it was because he was a red angus and then I figured ......nah.....there ain't no such thang as a blue angus so that can't be it :lol:

It's the colour, red is the only colour bulls can make out, have you not heard the saying 'A red flag to the Bull'....this is the colour they use in Spain to attract the bulls in the Bull ring. The Matador comes out with a red cape and waves it and the bull charges, when he runs behind the fence he lowers the cape and the bull calms down, I hate Bull fighting myself the way they spear the bull in the bull run leading up to the bull ring. I think it is cruel, and degrading for such a fine animal. I have only seen one fight and that was one to many.

Since red and white make pink and blue is the color that is indicated for males, maybe the bull has a gender confusion problem

dun

Bulls beller dig holes you could lose a M-1 tank in fight tear up fences dig more bigger better holes and beller.

I just want to know where the dirt goes from there excavation's. They throw it straight up in the air and none of it lands in the hole or pasture.

Caustic Burno":iu1m6rxj said:
Bulls beller dig holes you could lose a M-1 tank in fight tear up fences dig more bigger better holes and beller.

I just want to know where the dirt goes from there excavation's. They throw it straight up in the air and none of it lands in the hole or pasture.

ROFLMAO (and groaning cause my ribs hurt) :lol: :lol: We have the same problem, and ours are excavating a gate. I think they carry it away on their backs. Hubby was just talking about the same thing ;-) ;-) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts