Bulls.. and power

Help Support CattleToday:

Limomike

Reaction score
Bulls never cease to amaze me with their power. Yesterday, when I was rolling out a 1200lb bale where I have my bull penned up; after I had rolled it over one time, he came up and butted it twice and actually knocked it END OVER END! Not once, but twice! I'm not talking about him rolling it, but hitting it with his head on the flat side and knocking it end to end that way. Just like a kid playing with a small wooden block. Amazing power those big guys have. ANd I have already told you all about the one that I saw at the Tulsa Stockyard Sale that actually jumped a 7 foot wall right up where the auctioneer was sitting! Lets hear some of your stories about what you have see bulls do...

A while back I was at the stockyard walking the catwalk when a man dropped off a bull for sale. Didn't pay much attention to what was going on until I heard a commotion and frantic yelling. The bull was on a rampage and was chasing a young worker down the alley. Everyone yelled for him to climb but he kept trying to outrun the bull. The young guy just did make it to a bull gate when the bull plowed him. Thankfully the guy crawled under the gate but then the bull tore the 16' gate off the hinges and tossed it across the barn like it was a feather and continued his attack. Thankfully another fella jumped in the alley and got the bull's attention and it attacked him but bothe had time to climb to safety. Teed off still, the bull ripped and snorted his way through the barn tearing every gate or panel off their hinges as he went. I don't know what happened to the bull but I know what would have happened to him had he been mine.

Loaded one for a cousin when i was a lot younger. how they got him in the barn I don't know but the only way I could get him loaded was to run in the back of the trailer and out the side door. We had a rope tied to the rear door to close it.
Went last winter to a friends barn and he wanted to sell me a bull and a cow. Could not get in the barn with them. opened the trailer door and when they saw the hole they ran in. Bought them looking through a 4x6inch hole in my Wilson trailer. did not see either very well until i unloaded them at the stockyard. Bull weighed 2340 and the cow 1220 but the cow was meaner than the bull. Bull tore up several gates and finally got with three other bulls. An angus bull wieghing about 1800 showed him who was boss. He went and stood in the corner like a child that was being punished. good thing I had a friend that was a slaughter buyer.

Several yrs ago I loaded a bull in a fairly new 32ft coose trailer loaded just fine wasn't mean or anything closed the gate behind him so he was in an 8ft compartment went a few miles and heard a loud noise he had planted his feet against the front of the trailer and his hd against the cut gate and had pushed dents in the front wall of the trailer with his feet and folded the gate in the middle with his head when I stopped he was just standing like nothing had happened I guess he felt he needed more room that $50 haul bill sure didn't cover the damages to my trailer

Anyone who has ever been around Coose trailers know they aren't built cheap or lightweight, They are probably the stoutest built steel trailer on the market and made for rugged daily use

Had a bale on the back of the tractor and was fixing to unroll it and the bull came up and butted the bale a few times with his head and nearly moved the entire tractor forwards...and it's not a very small tractor either! but the bulls tend to really like to "help" unroll the bale they will run up to it and literally unroll the bale! I think they are showing off...

I had a Char bull one time. He was a big boy. He weighed about 2700 hundred pounds. He was a pet. He was my buddy. He was the only bull I could trust, even with him as big as he was. He was gentle as a lamb. He never ceased to amaze me with his power. One time I was workin in the garden, we had an old junk car and I was watchin him rub his head on it and next thing I know he flipped the whole car :eek: . I was like oh my gosh. I can only imagine what he could have done to a human. I could walk up to him and just hug him and rub on his shoulders. I have never ever had a bull that was that tame. He came in handy when I had to unroll the hay. All I had to do was put them on the ground and he rolled them out hisself. I miss that ol boy.

The craziest beef animal I ever saw was a 500 lb bull that came into the stockyards with some other feeders . He cleared 2- 7 foot gates and jumped back in with the cattle he came in with . I often wonder what happened with him or worse yet the people that came in contact with him .

Dad bought 20 balck heifers out of the sale last week, when we treated those there was one about 350 lbs that would come right at ya .

Larry

Never had a run in with any mean bulls. The run ins I have had over the years with loco cows though are to numerous to list.

as a kid i saw a gert bull well over a ton... knock a school bus up on two wheels.... he plowed into the side of if as it crossed over the cattle guard......we were behind it as it turned off, and would have been on it. but we rode home from school with my uncle that day..

alacattleman":1mwnpbmk said:
as a kid i saw a gert bull well over a ton... knock a school bus up on two wheels.... he plowed into the side of if as it crossed over the cattle guard......we were behind it as it turned off, and would have been on it. but we road home from school with my uncle that day..

Those are some good stories..
Alacattleman, that reminded me of a Gert bull I had about 10 years ago, and I was carrying about 600lbs of feed in the back of my F150, with the tailgate down, and when I stopped to open up a gate, that bull came up and stuck his head under the tailgate, slammed it shut, then proceeded to stick his head further under the end of the truck and raised it up off the ground about 2 feet!

A friend of mine had a char bull that was being moved across the driveway to another pasture. Since the last time he had been moved the driveway had been paved. He refused to walk on the pavement to cross. After half a day of trying to get him to go across my friend got mad and started using his International Scout to nudge the bull across the drive. The bull got mad and flipped the scout over on its side with my friend in it. I know a scout is not the heaviest vehicle out there but my friend said that the bull made it look so easy.

When we bought our place, I had 40 or 50 1200lb round bales along the fence in two rows. Brought over one cow that hadn't calved, along with our bull which was fairly docile. I had fence wire and posts in the truck to string a hot wire around the hay, but figured I'd let the animals loose first. Very stupid move. As soon as I turned the bull loose, he ignored the grass and went straight for the hay. He lifted a bale completely off the ground, held it, and then flipped it over the bale next to it. He'd have destroyed the whole works if I hadn't had a bucket of feed to distract him with long enough to get the hot wire up. That bale was like nothing to him, and it was 6 of me. He could have launched me like he was flicking a fly.

as i read this ive grinned alot.because of hearing how strong bulls can be wich ive known their strength for years.they can do some funny an amazing things over the years.

A vet told of a dairy client with a big Holstein bull. From the catch chute to the end of the barn was maybe 50 feet. At the end of the barn was a sliding door which weighed at least 1000 lbs. All wood, mounted on tracks.
When the bull was released from the crate he would saunter toward the door. Some cowboy had ten seconds to get that door open, because if it was closed when the bull arrived it wouldn't be closed for long. And then the crew would have to hoist it back onto the tracks.

Most bulls that i've dealt with are pretty well layed back and quite.But when one does come unglued it will put a cow to looking meek.It seems that they just lay back storing up their energy for use when they do decided to act stupid.
I have never and will never trust a bull. Like steping out in the road in front of a speeding truck,saying it won't hit you.I have never fully trusted any animal.One that weighs 20 times more than me anyhow.

Cal

Latest posts