Bulls and other stuff

Help Support CattleToday:

MurraysMutts

Reaction score
The heifer bull thread has me thinking tonight.
My Mutt Brangus has already bred a few so I'm kind of there already for this year. But...
I'm considering selling him this fall, and keeping the bull away from here so as to tighten things up.
The 2nd herd SHOULD calve from September to December. I MAY have 1 go onto January. We will see.
In theory I should be able to leave my hereford with the herd that hes with until this time next year. I figure i can pull him end of May and have him here after that. Just running one bull. This would be ideal unless something happens to him, then I gotta scramble and find a bull! Hate that thought. As it's happened b4.
I really like the calves I'm getting out of my Hereford bull. Even with my Mutt cows he makes a fairly uniform calf crop. Of coarse I get a couple reds but that's just part of it. And angus might or might not do better, idk.
Should I just leave him where hes at year round?
I like the idea of keeping him at work year round and having a fall calf crop and a spring calf crop. One less bull to feed too and I could run one more cow maybe.
At this point I dont really expect to have any heifers to breed. Hes not really a heifer bull. Moderate calves. Not monster big calves. Extra medium I guess. So if I get any replacements they need to be NOT a heifer and I dont know if that's good or bad really. Coin toss on that one.
O. About a dozen cows each place give or take a couple 2 or 3. So he should have no problem making a good calving window at both places provided cows do the job.
Anyway, just some rambling and thoughts. Most folks kinda know what's going on in my lil world so fire away with thoughts, ideas, just generally anything really...

If you want to run 1 bull, I don't see a reason not to. How old is this bull? If he's aging, maybe it's time to look and see what bulls are available.

You can keep 1 bull, but have a backup plan just in case. Family, friend, or neighbor that would lend you a bull? Anybody in your area rent out bulls? Short story... Dad had a Gelbvieh bull that lasted a long time. Always covered the cows and still covered the cows after he went sterile. Bull's scrotum was there, but empty. Testicles must have frozen in Winter. Ended up using the neighbor's Park bull to get the cows bred in a pinch.

And the heifers... anyone in your area do AI service? If there is a heifer in heat, can you get her in somewhere? If you can get her in a headgate, somebody can do AI service.

I like the calves from my Hereford.
2 crops from him.
I also like my Brangus. I've only got a few on the ground.

Both bulls are young. The brangus is a lil over 2 yrs
The Hereford is about 3 years.
No issues with either bull. Both good gentle boys.

I out the hereford with a group last December that I held a bull off of to tighten things up. 9 of 13 on the ground. There seems to be something to that! Holding the bull off a bit, then turning him in on them.

The brangus is here at home, and calving is so far spread out its ridiculous. I've just accumulated cows that are spread out all over. My own fault, but it can be fixed. Just costs a lil time. I'll have to keep the bull out til everyone is done calving this spring. Which will work out great for me. I'll have one group calving in September/ October.
The other group I'd like to start calving in late March into April.

The baldies sell good here!
But so do nice solid black animals, even with a tick of ear.

Just makes me sad to sell my brangus, I've raised him from a pup so to speak.

Latest posts