Bulls and behavior

Help Support CattleToday:

I've seen show bulls carry men across the ring and slam them . And the men were only holding on to the nose ring.

It was suggested some time ago on this board that the reason dairy bulls are more dangerous then beef bulls is that, like dairy cows, they have a higher sex drive. Though come to think of it the poster was refering to Jerseys in particular. It makes sense that dairy animals would be selected more strictly for fertility related traits, in beef animals meatiness is also important.
A really small producer only needs a stanchion and a swinging gate to use a.i. because we keep gentle cows!
Txcountryboy, your boy sounds like a nightmare waiting to happen. Does he have to stay a bull for you to show him? And b.t.w, guests' post isn't actually a sentence because it is not capitalized and does not end in a period.

Great Post Cattle Annie
Now if the kid would take some advice that he has asked for he might be OK. If not what else can we do.

I've heard of two cowboys killed on holidays by bulls.. the truth is it would never be in the press except it was a holiday.. today on the news they had a young lady..teen killed by a kick to the chest...

i appreciate all that was said...but we all, i dont care how much experience you have, need to be careful..

i just should say im sure a cow or young steer could kill someone too... just a thought..

think the ai is cheaper that buying the bull.

donna

Page - yes, he needs to stay a bull. originally i planned on getting a brahman to raise as a steer, but i did tons and tons of research and still doing research about showing and raising bulls, and i decided i wanted to raise a bull.

la4angus - i am definately taking all advice from anyone thats raised bulls before. i never said he will always be a perfect little angel that will never get rough. bulls are new to me. i have experience raising cattle though, so i think that will help me out a lot. i have talked to everyone i can about raising bulls and have gotten all sorts of advice from all sorts of people. i talked to another ag teacher in the area and he raised a hereford bull when he was in high school. he had it trained so good it would walk all his other cattle. he would tie up his 6 other cattle to this bull and it would walk around the hay field 4 times. the bull knew after walking those 4 laps it came in and ate. the guy didnt even have to walk with it. his friend for some reason bought a 7 year old brahman bull that was untrained. he never got hurt raising that thing. it happened to be a little racist and would charge any black person there was, but the guy raising it never got hurt.

now im not saying any of you are wrong, maybe the ag teacher and his friend were just lucky. im taking any information and advice very closely.

TxCountry.... everyone is trying to be helpful, I know you understand that! But just to "stir the pot"... the next time ya'll take a trip to Six Flags Over Arlington, check out the Wild West Show. There's a dark gray Brahman bull named Pecos Pete in the show. I raised him. The trainer that bought him for the show said he's been working with animals for over 20 years, and has never seen a bull with a disposition like Pecos.

Any of them can hurt you, even unintentionally, but I don't believe they are all inheritantly mean, and I do believe there are bulls that if handled right, will never give you a bad moment. And one of the common threads in the previous posts has been in a situation where there are multiple bulls. We only run one bull, and have never had a problem with aggressive behavior.

Yeah, checked myself when I got home...the poop was only on the outside of the pants. Amazingly enough. Didn't have time to do much more than say " Oh, shhhh" before it hit the fan. Good thing else might've been pretty embarrassing. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Knew someone was bound to point that out, actually kinda hesistated to type it, but figured what the heck.

Take care.

Most people are suprised and hurt by the gentle bull. We pay more attention to the known trouble makers. Always seperate the bull first when working cattle. Get him in a secure holding pen before he gets excited. Cattle are not pets.
R.T.

When moving or working a bull (i.e., vacinations or loading on a trailer), is it generally recommended to drive the bull along with a few bred cows?

An old-timer advised me a long time ago to never try to make a bull go somewhere without moving a few tame cows with him. I just have one bull on the farm at a time, and I've followed the old-timer's rule with the last two bulls I've had. I've had good luck with this approach in that the bull will usually just follow the cows, but I was wondering if you all think this approach really reduces the odds of a "problem". Thanks, Jerry

We always keep the bulls with other cows. I have found that they are definately calmer with cows in the pen then alone. This is all great information! :!:

Additional question on keeping cows with bulls, I was told to keep other animals with the bull, and wonder if you are saying specifically cows (bred) are better than steers or would it matter?

Roy

I haven't found that it really mattered much what type of cow, steer, heifer as long as they are weaned and ok to be open as long as you don't care if they get bred because if they are cycling that bull will be very interested no matter where he is.

I have kept our bull in the 'sick pen' with a freezer steer and he was fine but if he is alone in a pen he gets rowdy.

It was touched on by another post but at our place, everyone knows that the behavior of both bulls and cows are extremely unpredicatable at certain times more so than others: the 1st week or two following calving (for even the most gentle animals) Feeding time (especially with bulls) breeding time (don't even go around a bull or else and especially don't try to seperate him) and obviously when you're working them in corrals alleyways & chutes. We've also had a few bad experiences with sick cows being very agressive at times.