bulling

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Aquestion for the old tiers or anyone I guess. How often do you see a cow showing signs of heat when they should be within a week of calving.She seemed to be bagging up and now she stands for my bull. (I know the bull shouldn't be there but thats a different story)

While it isn't the "norm", whatever that is, neither is it particularly unusual. Cows are individuals, you can never predict what one will do based on what others do. For that matter you can't predict what one will do based on her own past behaviour.

dun

Anonymous":2lylw9q6 said:
Aquestion for the old tiers or anyone I guess. How often do you see a cow showing signs of heat when they should be within a week of calving.She seemed to be bagging up and now she stands for my bull. (I know the bull shouldn't be there but thats a different story)

I've got a Jersey that that's one of the best ways to tell that she IS pregnant -- once she's 60 days or so pregnant, she'll stand.
When she's open and cycling she acts like any other cow. You know she's bred when she starts standing every few days.

They have a lot of hormones flowing when they're pregnant, and those hormones can make them do strange things!

Ann B

I agree with the comments so far. We have one cow that we wonder every year whether or not she got bred. When the bull gets turned out in the spring, he hangs by her periodically looking like she may be cycling. She usually calves in a month or so and is just a little later on her yearly calving than some of the others.

No reason to apologize for having a bull out year round. My bull is happier if I leave him out with the girls once I'm sure they are all bred. We calve twice a year and will put him in the pasture in mid winter when I am sure everyone has bred on their cycle. It is easier to move an odd cow that is off cycle to a pen rather than the bull and leave him all alone. I have one commercial friend who calves year round. His choice.