Bulldozer Rates

Help Support CattleToday:

Mostly it depends on the size of dozer. It has ranged from $85 an hour up to $135 an hour. Now that all the natural gas pads have slowed, it may come down.

D8 or D9 run $110 an hr or more here.an they want an 8 to 10 full days work to come an work.

bigbull338":qfawpab1 said:
D8 or D9 run $110 an hr or more here.an they want an 8 to 10 full days work to come an work.

A D8 or D9? :shock: If I could rent one of those I'd be on a testosterone high for a week! The biggest I can rent is a Cat D6 and it cost me $2200 a week plus fuel. There's something to be said for paying a skilled operator if you know exactly what you want done. But, it's amazing what you can get done when you do it yourself and can figure out how to operate the machine yourself. There are all kinds of creative things you can accomplish in a week.

BeefmasterB":1g2vf720 said:
bigbull338":1g2vf720 said:

A D8 or D9? :shock: If I could rent one of those I'd be on a testosterone high for a week! The biggest I can rent is a Cat D6 and it cost me $2200 a week plus fuel. There's something to be said for paying a skilled operator if you know exactly what you want done. But, it's amazing what you can get done when you do it yourself and can figure out how to operate the machine yourself. There are all kinds of creative things you can accomplish in a week.
Plenty of ways to tear things up too. :p

I am getting $85 on a D5H, and I quoted a guy $100 pr hr on a D6R, when I had my D8 I was at $140pr hr with a move in charge and a 40 hr minnimum

on the 5 and the 6 I charge a $250 move in charge and an 8 hr minnimum unless they have more than 8 hrs work
with fuel rising here lately I might have to start charging a 2.5% fuel surcharge to help off set the fuel cost

BeefmasterB":3kbuk3fe said:
bigbull338":3kbuk3fe said:

If you figure the cost by the hr you are paying roughly $75 pr hr for the machine and fuel, not including insurance and the cost of delivery and pick up of the machine
An experienced operator will get twice as much done in that hr than an inexperienced or a intermediate operator so it actually winds up costing you more money in the long run trying to do it yourself

Angus Cowman":vq2908tl said:
BeefmasterB":vq2908tl said:
bigbull338":vq2908tl said:

If you figure the cost by the hr you are paying roughly $75 pr hr for the machine and fuel, not including insurance and the cost of delivery and pick up of the machine
An experienced operator will get twice as much done in that hr than an inexperienced or a intermediate operator so it actually winds up costing you more money in the long run trying to do it yourself

AC, that $2200 was for machine rental, delivery, insurance, and pickup. I got my own diesel. Operating took about 2 hours to learn. While a skilled operator might be more efficient, you still have to give specific instructions to get the job done the way you want. If the renter happens to get the main job completed faster than planned, the renter can elect to get other needed jobs done in the same 40 hour rental window. I'll be ordering one up in about a month. If a person just can't grasp basic operation then they should hire it out IMO.

Anybody can make the tracts rattle in a couple of hours. I have spent alot of hours in the seat of a dozer and can name several operaters who can beat me on any given day. I can also name a bunch that that i can make look they ain't done nothing.

Red Bull Breeder":o85pnobh said:
Anybody can make the tracts rattle in a couple of hours. I have spent alot of hours in the seat of a dozer and can name several operaters who can beat me on any given day. I can also name a bunch that that i can make look they ain't done nothing.
I love it when a person can do something for an hr or so and Claim they can OPERATE a piece of Equipment

Actually, I think dozer operating is something that you either can do, or can NOT do. There's a lot of folks out there that could not do it if you put them through a 2 year training program.

Last I heard, a D6 was $85 per hour, but that was a couple years back.

Operating a dozer or any piece of equipment is one of those deals that most anyone can get the job done, but an operator can get it done quicker, easier and RIGHT

In our neck of the woods, the rates have dropped like a rock since the gas field has slowed to a crawl. You can't open the local paper without seeing an ad for dozer work. Some of the ads are as low as $70 - $75/hour. One old boy's ad was "light dozer work for $50/hr". Of course, I don't know what in the world that is or how competent he is or worn out his dozer is.

Earlier this spring I checked with a rental company on a JD 650. One week was $1470 ish; if you took it for a month, the price was basically 3 weeks rent.

Jim62 said:
Actually, I think dozer operating is something that you either can do, or can NOT do. There's a lot of folks out there that could not do it if you put them through a 2 year training program.

Jim, I think some of those folks that filed the 2 yr. training are working for our county road dept. Our county has the biggest collection of know it all dumb a--es I have ever seen in one group.

hillrancher":229jk7jt said:
Jim62":229jk7jt said:

Jim, I think some of those folks that filed the 2 yr. training are working for our county road dept. Our county has the biggest collection of know it all dumb a--es I have ever seen in one group.

Your right!! Some people are just intimidated by the things, don't have the where-with-all to learn or don't have the time. So they hire it out. Your lucky if the operator shows up on time, doesn't overcharge by taking his sweet time, and get's the job done the way you want it done. Then you have to consider the experience of the operator. Some are good at pushing down trees but have never dug a pond (wouldn't know a cut sand from a snow bank) but are expert at building roads etc. It took me no more than two hours to learn the D6 and got done everything I needed to do and still had clock time to clean up some other things on the place. Built road, dug up 60 ft elms (they just don't fall over!), created log piles, and have dug two ponds and assorted other things with them. Priced a JD550 LGP, yesterday at a rental rate of $2000 a week and that included delivery and pick-up. The days of confusing levers to operate them are long gone. Now it's mostly joystick control.

Well I have spent a lot of time on them. I have own some, rented some, operated for others and currently own a Cat track loader.

I have not seen any dozer or track loader that was harder to run than a tractor or backhoe. The bigger machines are easier for me to run. Maybe I just have a knack for equipment operation. 6 way blades, variation of joy sticks, track loader buckets - etc. I can make them do anything they are capable of. I can reach out and scratch your ear with a backhoe bucket. My Massey tractor is much harder to operate/manipulate than my cat or hoe. Two lever front bucket is a pain on that tractor. Plus the PTO, hydraulic shift up tranny that MUST be downshifted before changing gears or ranges etc.

Just my opinion but running a track loader or dozer is a piece of cake. As said, the bigger the machine, the easier it is for me to operate.

I have a JD450 track loader that I use for cleaning fence rows, digging ponds, driving T-Posts and whatever else I want to use it for. I am a so-so operator because I don't spend that much time on it. My dad, on the other hand, is a whiz on it because he is retired and enjoys playing with the big boy toys. It has a 4-in-1 bucket on it and a winch on the rear. It does about all we want to do. I will probably be renting a D6 or bigger for some work that I have to do to repair the levy and spillway on my 4 acre lake. I am gonna turn that project over to dad since rentals can get expensive and he is the faster operator.

$550/acre here.

some have told me it is much cheaper to buy one and resell it later for what you paid.

Latest posts